Kevin Youkilis: ‘I’m preparing myself to play third base’
|11.02.10 at 8:17 am ET|
Kevin Youkilis was tracked down by reporters this past weekend at the University of Cincinnati Homecoming football game, having played for the Bearcats’ baseball team from 1998-2001 . The fairly clean-shaven Youkilis explained that he has been hitting and throwing for the past couple of weeks, and that he and his injured thumb were ready to play baseball once again (yet, as he pointed out, “there’s no baseball to be played.”)
But then the subject of moving across the diamond came up. Clearly, Youkilis is not taking rumors of the Red Sox acquiring a first baseman lightly.
“I’m preparing myself to play third base because if you prepare yourself to play third base and you play first, it’s an easy transition,” Youkilis said. “So, for me, I try and prepare myself mentally to play third. I’ll probably take a little more ground balls this year, but hopefully we’ll find out sooner than later.”
Youkilis was then asked if he minded manning third base after become a Gold Glove first baseman. His answer? Not at all.
“I love third base. I love playing it, I enjoy it. It’s a lot of fun,” he said. “I would love to play third base, but wherever the team needs me I’ll play. First base, third base. No outfield. I’ll play shortstop if they want me to play short. For me, anywhere in the infield is good.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Trade Analysis: Scouting Anthony Ranaudo
- Red Sox deal Anthony Ranaudo to Rangers for Robbie Ross Jr.
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Perth heads to the playoffs
- Rookie Dev Program notes: Ramos healthy, Swihart looks back
- Mookie Betts is prepared for whatever 2015 may bring
- Brian Johnson prepared to follow up stellar 2014 campaign
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Weeks helps Mayaguez advance to finals
- Rookie Development Program easing transition for young players
- Offseason Notes: Veterans Bianchi, Boggs highlight minor league signings
- Red Sox acquire Danny Rosenbaum from Nationals for Dan Butler