|Kevin Youkilis: ‘I’m preparing myself to play third base’||11.02.10 at 8:17 am ET|
Kevin Youkilis was tracked down by reporters this past weekend at the University of Cincinnati Homecoming football game, having played for the Bearcats’ baseball team from 1998-2001 . The fairly clean-shaven Youkilis explained that he has been hitting and throwing for the past couple of weeks, and that he and his injured thumb were ready to play baseball once again (yet, as he pointed out, “there’s no baseball to be played.”)
But then the subject of moving across the diamond came up. Clearly, Youkilis is not taking rumors of the Red Sox acquiring a first baseman lightly.
“I’m preparing myself to play third base because if you prepare yourself to play third base and you play first, it’s an easy transition,” Youkilis said. “So, for me, I try and prepare myself mentally to play third. I’ll probably take a little more ground balls this year, but hopefully we’ll find out sooner than later.”
Youkilis was then asked if he minded manning third base after become a Gold Glove first baseman. His answer? Not at all.
“I love third base. I love playing it, I enjoy it. It’s a lot of fun,” he said. “I would love to play third base, but wherever the team needs me I’ll play. First base, third base. No outfield. I’ll play shortstop if they want me to play short. For me, anywhere in the infield is good.”
- Cup of Coffee: PawSox, Drive produce walk-off wins
- PawSox activate Jackie Bradley, Jr. from disabled list
- Weekly Notes: De La Rosa, Betts take center stage
- Cup of Coffee: Shaw leads 18-hit attack in Sea Dogs rout
- Cup of Coffee: Gedman, big Salem seventh key system’s only win
- Christian Vazquez’s new focus at the plate starting to pay off
- Cup of Coffee: Augliera dominant in Salem victory
- Players of the Week, May 6-12: Rubby De La Rosa and Mookie Betts
- Cup of Coffee: Streaks continue for Mookie Betts, Chris Martin
- SoxProspects Video of the Week: Anthony Ranaudo