Kevin Youkilis: ‘I’m preparing myself to play third base’
|11.02.10 at 8:17 am ET|
Kevin Youkilis was tracked down by reporters this past weekend at the University of Cincinnati Homecoming football game, having played for the Bearcats’ baseball team from 1998-2001 . The fairly clean-shaven Youkilis explained that he has been hitting and throwing for the past couple of weeks, and that he and his injured thumb were ready to play baseball once again (yet, as he pointed out, “there’s no baseball to be played.”)
But then the subject of moving across the diamond came up. Clearly, Youkilis is not taking rumors of the Red Sox acquiring a first baseman lightly.
“I’m preparing myself to play third base because if you prepare yourself to play third base and you play first, it’s an easy transition,” Youkilis said. “So, for me, I try and prepare myself mentally to play third. I’ll probably take a little more ground balls this year, but hopefully we’ll find out sooner than later.”
Youkilis was then asked if he minded manning third base after become a Gold Glove first baseman. His answer? Not at all.
“I love third base. I love playing it, I enjoy it. It’s a lot of fun,” he said. “I would love to play third base, but wherever the team needs me I’ll play. First base, third base. No outfield. I’ll play shortstop if they want me to play short. For me, anywhere in the infield is good.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Podcast Ep. 84: Mailbag extravaganza!
- Cup of Coffee: Longhi, Watkins power Greenville playoff push
- Cup of Coffee: Drive step closer to playoffs behind Drehoff, Moncada
- Cup of Coffee: Season comes to an end for DSL Red Sox
- Cup of Coffee: DSL Sox drop playoff opener; Espinoza dominates
- Weekly Notes: Greenville lineup turning heads
- Cup of Coffee: McGrath lights-out, Sea Dogs' bats back Wilkerson
- Cup of Coffee: Perez helps GCL Red Sox clinch division
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi remains hot, Hernandez impressive for DSL Sox
- Podcast Ep. 83: Interview Special with Michael Chavis and Nick Longhi