Kevin Youkilis: ‘I’m preparing myself to play third base’
|11.02.10 at 8:17 am ET|
Kevin Youkilis was tracked down by reporters this past weekend at the University of Cincinnati Homecoming football game, having played for the Bearcats’ baseball team from 1998-2001 . The fairly clean-shaven Youkilis explained that he has been hitting and throwing for the past couple of weeks, and that he and his injured thumb were ready to play baseball once again (yet, as he pointed out, “there’s no baseball to be played.”)
But then the subject of moving across the diamond came up. Clearly, Youkilis is not taking rumors of the Red Sox acquiring a first baseman lightly.
“I’m preparing myself to play third base because if you prepare yourself to play third base and you play first, it’s an easy transition,” Youkilis said. “So, for me, I try and prepare myself mentally to play third. I’ll probably take a little more ground balls this year, but hopefully we’ll find out sooner than later.”
Youkilis was then asked if he minded manning third base after become a Gold Glove first baseman. His answer? Not at all.
“I love third base. I love playing it, I enjoy it. It’s a lot of fun,” he said. “I would love to play third base, but wherever the team needs me I’ll play. First base, third base. No outfield. I’ll play shortstop if they want me to play short. For me, anywhere in the infield is good.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies