Ricciardi worked for the Red Sox for a day before Mets job
|11.03.10 at 3:34 pm ET|
Newly named Mets special assistant to general manager J.P. Ricciardi appeared on The Big Show on Wednesday. Ricciardi was asked about a tweet from Peter Gammons that indicated he worked a day in the Red Sox front office before the Mets made a job offer.
“I had the shortest tenure of any Red Sox employee ever, it was 24 hours,” said Ricciardi. “I had a standing offer from the Red Sox to go over there at any time and I had gone over there to help with a project that they were doing, which was at the end of last week. And the next day [Mets general manager] Sandy Alderson had called and asked permission to talk to me. Theo [Epstein] and the ownership group were absolutely outstanding, they allowed Sandy the opportunity to talk to me and it ended up working out really well for me.”
Ricciardi was then asked what would have happened had the Mets not come in with an offer.
“On November 1st I was going to work for them [The Red Sox],” said Ricciardi. “At that point it would have been official, but it never got to that point.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Betts Has Real Chance of Crashing AL MVP Party
- MLB Betting Preview: Red Sox vs. Orioles Odds, Analysis
- David Ortiz Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Foot
- Can Benintendi Be Pennant Race Difference-Maker?
- Updates on Red Sox Star Hanley Ramirez's Injury
- Andrew Benintendi Recalled from Double-a
- Fernando Abad to Red Sox
- 2014 First-rounder Michael Chavis promoted to High A Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Jason Groome era begins with two scoreless innings
- Weekly Notes: Groome debuts, Kopech and Dalbec stay hot
- Cup of Coffee: Salem wins 10th straight, Hill, Tubbs carry Lowell
- Podcast Ep. #104: BeninBoston
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Luis Alexander Basabe
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits in Portland's slugfest
- Cup of Coffee: Dalbec keeps hitting, Dubon, Atkins lead Portland
- Cup of Coffee: Kopech dominates again, Dalbec blasts a pair
- Cup of Coffee: Tavarez leads Portland to doubleheader split