Ricciardi worked for the Red Sox for a day before Mets job
|11.03.10 at 3:34 pm ET|
Newly named Mets special assistant to general manager J.P. Ricciardi appeared on The Big Show on Wednesday. Ricciardi was asked about a tweet from Peter Gammons that indicated he worked a day in the Red Sox front office before the Mets made a job offer.
“I had the shortest tenure of any Red Sox employee ever, it was 24 hours,” said Ricciardi. “I had a standing offer from the Red Sox to go over there at any time and I had gone over there to help with a project that they were doing, which was at the end of last week. And the next day [Mets general manager] Sandy Alderson had called and asked permission to talk to me. Theo [Epstein] and the ownership group were absolutely outstanding, they allowed Sandy the opportunity to talk to me and it ended up working out really well for me.”
Ricciardi was then asked what would have happened had the Mets not come in with an offer.
“On November 1st I was going to work for them [The Red Sox],” said Ricciardi. “At that point it would have been official, but it never got to that point.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Cup of Coffee: Ball stymies Mudcats, Brentz leads Pawtucket past Rochester
- Swihart learning to catch the knuckler in Pawtucket
- System Restart 2015, Pt. 7: Low Minors Pitchers
- Cup of Coffee: Brentz walks off for PawSox home opener
- Cup of Coffee: Jackie Bradley Jr. continues hot start, Pawtucket falls in doubleheader
- System Restart 2015, Pt. 6: Mid-Minors Pitchers
- Cup of Coffee: Margot, Longhi, and Cecchini provide the power
- Podcast Ep. 73: Scout Talk and Season's Start
- Cup of Coffee: Abbreviated 2015 debuts for Kopech, Barnes
- Weekly Notes: Let the games begin