Florida Marlins owner believes Hanley Ramirez will retire a Marlin
|11.17.10 at 12:40 pm ET|
ORLANDO, Fla. — Speaking at the MLB owners’ meetings, Florida Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria told WEEI.com that he fully expects Hanley Ramirez to remain with his team, and predicts that the 26-year-old will end his career with the Marlins.
“Do I think he will retire a Marlin? Yes,” Loria said.
“I love Hanley. You can tell everybody in Boston that my wife [Julie] is from Massachusetts [Leominster], she likes Hanley too, and she wouldn’t let me get rid of him. But you never know. We signed him to a seven-year deal for a reason. There’s no reason to think he should not be with us.”
Ramirez, who has been rumored to be a target of the Red Sox in past years, signed a six-year, $70 million extension during the 2008 season. In 2010, his fifth full major league season, Ramirez hit .300, with 21 homers, and 32 stolen bases. Since arriving with the Marlins in the trade that sent Josh Beckett and Mike Lowell to the Red Sox, the shortstop has compiled a .313 batting average.
“The rumors are never from us,” Loria said. “The rumors are started by others, others who might like to have him, or see him there. We don’t start those rumors. Hanley is our shortstop. I love him, he knows that, and I hope he retires with us.”
For more Red Sox coverage, see the team page at weei.com/redsox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles