Florida Marlins owner believes Hanley Ramirez will retire a Marlin
|11.17.10 at 12:40 pm ET|
ORLANDO, Fla. — Speaking at the MLB owners’ meetings, Florida Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria told WEEI.com that he fully expects Hanley Ramirez to remain with his team, and predicts that the 26-year-old will end his career with the Marlins.
“Do I think he will retire a Marlin? Yes,” Loria said.
“I love Hanley. You can tell everybody in Boston that my wife [Julie] is from Massachusetts [Leominster], she likes Hanley too, and she wouldn’t let me get rid of him. But you never know. We signed him to a seven-year deal for a reason. There’s no reason to think he should not be with us.”
Ramirez, who has been rumored to be a target of the Red Sox in past years, signed a six-year, $70 million extension during the 2008 season. In 2010, his fifth full major league season, Ramirez hit .300, with 21 homers, and 32 stolen bases. Since arriving with the Marlins in the trade that sent Josh Beckett and Mike Lowell to the Red Sox, the shortstop has compiled a .313 batting average.
“The rumors are never from us,” Loria said. “The rumors are started by others, others who might like to have him, or see him there. We don’t start those rumors. Hanley is our shortstop. I love him, he knows that, and I hope he retires with us.”
For more Red Sox coverage, see the team page at weei.com/redsox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system
- Podcast Ep. #105: MoncadainBoston
- Cup of Coffee: Devers helps keep Salem alive, Lowell eliminated
- Scouting Scratch: Jason Groome