Source: Red Sox ‘undecided’ on bid for Tsuyoshi Nishioka
|11.19.10 at 4:24 pm ET|
According to a major league source familiar with the situation, as of Friday afternoon the Red Sox were still “undecided” regarding whether they will be submitting a bid for the rights to negotiate with Japanese middle infielder Tsuyoshi Nishioka, who was posted by the Chiba Lotte Marines. Teams have until 5 p.m. Tuesday to submit bids in regards to Nishioka, a 26-year-old switch-hitter who won the Japanese Pacific League batting title with a .346 average in 2010.
While Nishioka has played shortstop throughout his professional career, some believe he would be better suited for second base in the major leagues. The Red Sox did draw interest at the recent GM meetings in Orlando for shorstop Marco Scutaro, who is scheduled to earn $5 million next season, while holding a $6 million team option, or $3 million player option for 2012.
Part of any hesitation regarding attempting to secure the services of Nishioka might be due to the progression of shortstop Jose Iglesias, who continued to impress with his play in the Arizona Fall League and is thought to be on track to compete for a major league job in 2012.
For more Red Sox coverage, see the team page at weei.com/redsox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Ryan Lavarnway designated for assignment as Sandoval signs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez shines in Puerto Rico
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Xander Bogaerts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Mookie Betts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday
- Kukuk arrested, charged with aggravated robbery
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Allen Webster