Tigers announce Victor Martinez signing, say he will serve chiefly as DH
|11.26.10 at 10:31 am ET|
The Tigers made their signing of Victor Martinez to a four-year, $50 million deal official in a press release on Friday, with Detroit President, CEO and GM Dave Dombrowski heralding the arrival of “a premier hitter” who will slot into the middle of their lineup.
Interestingly, given the degree to which Martinez’ value is tied to his position, the Tigers have already stated that Martinez will serve primarily as a DH who also catches two to three times a week. From the release:
“We expect Victor to be in our lineup on a daily basis, serving primarily as our club’s designated hitter and catching two to three times a week,” Dombrowski said. “He also has the ability to fill in at first base and his versatility allows us to keep a premier bat in our lineup every day. We’ve discussed this role with Victor and both sides are very pleased with what he brings to the Tigers organization.”
Martinez’ ability to play different roles certainly possesses value. Indeed, it was part of what made him such an appealing and impactful acquisition for the Sox in 2009.
Still, if he is to serve primarily as their DH, he becomes a less valuable asset than he would as an everyday catcher. Finding a designated hitter who can add middle-of-the-order production — hello, Vladimir Guerrero — is a less daunting task than identifying a catcher who can do so. That is part of the reason why David Ortiz is viewed as being overpaid for the 2011 season, when he will be playing on a $12.5 million option. Certainly, Martinez retains some added value over a DH in his part-time catching role, but it is not quite as much value as was the case in 2010, when he was the Sox’ everyday catcher.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller