Source: Red Sox show interest in reliever Matt Guerrier
|11.28.10 at 11:49 am ET|
According to a major league source, the Red Sox have shown interest in free agent relief pitcher Matt Guerrier. The right-hander, who has spent his entire seven-season major league career with the Twins, went 5-7 with a 3.17 ERA in 74 games with Minnesota in 2010. In the previous two seasons he led the American League in appearances with 76 and 79, respectively.
The 32-year-old had been classified as a ‘Type A’ free agent, but the Twins failed to offer him arbitration thereby not costing any team that would sign the righty a draft pick. Primarily a ground-ball pitcher, Guerrier’s best pitch is a slider, which helped limit right-handed batters to a .210 batting average in ’10. He also walked just 22 in 71 innings last season.
Guerrier made $3.15 million in ’10.
For more Red Sox coverage, see the team page at weei.com/redsox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies
- Fort Report: Benintendi to bat third in Boston?