Wily Mo Pena signs minor league deal with Arizona Diamondbacks
|12.01.10 at 4:18 pm ET|
Former Red Sox outfielder Wily Mo Pena, who was acquired by Boston in a trade for right-hander Bronson Arroyo in 2006, has signed a minor league deal with an invitation to major league camp with the Arizona Diamondbacks, according to a baseball source. The split contract would be worth $675,000 should Pena make the big league team.
Pena was out of baseball at the start of last year before playing for $1200 a month in the independent Atlantic League last season. He ended up being signed to a minor league deal by the Padres, and he hit .324/.390/.556 with nine homers for Triple-A Portland, for whom he played outfield and first base. On the strength of that performance, the 28-year-old (he turns 29 in January) received interest from a handful of clubs, among them the White Sox, Tigers, Astros and Orioles. He also received a more lucrative offer to play in Japan, but the slugging outfielder chose to play in the U.S., and saw a promising opportunity with the Diamondbacks, whose left field situation remains uncertain.
Pena is a career .253 hitter with a .753 OPS and 77 homers in parts of seven big league seasons. He last played in the majors in 2008 with the Washington Nationals, who acquired him from the Sox as part of a three-way deal (that included the Arizona Diamondbacks) that netted Boston Chris Carter, who was subsequently moved to the Mets as part of the deal for reliever Billy Wagner in 2009.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Red Sox Outfielder Chris Young Injury's
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- Can Red Sox Make Real Run at 1,000 Runs in 2016?
- Cup of Coffee: Ball great again, Benintendi stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza, O'Sullivan impress on the mound
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Sam Travis
- Cup of Coffee: GCL opens season, Washington, Moncada mash
- Scouting Scratch: Kevin Steen, Enmanuel De Jesus and more Lowell pitchers
- Cup of Coffee: Beeks, Dubon debut at Double-A, Lowell wins again
- Sources: Mauricio Dubon promoted to Portland
- Scouting Scratch: Michael Kopech
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada stays hot in Portland; Lowell improves to 6-0
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada makes Double-A debut; Owens dominates for PawSox