Wily Mo Pena signs minor league deal with Arizona Diamondbacks
|12.01.10 at 4:18 pm ET|
Former Red Sox outfielder Wily Mo Pena, who was acquired by Boston in a trade for right-hander Bronson Arroyo in 2006, has signed a minor league deal with an invitation to major league camp with the Arizona Diamondbacks, according to a baseball source. The split contract would be worth $675,000 should Pena make the big league team.
Pena was out of baseball at the start of last year before playing for $1200 a month in the independent Atlantic League last season. He ended up being signed to a minor league deal by the Padres, and he hit .324/.390/.556 with nine homers for Triple-A Portland, for whom he played outfield and first base. On the strength of that performance, the 28-year-old (he turns 29 in January) received interest from a handful of clubs, among them the White Sox, Tigers, Astros and Orioles. He also received a more lucrative offer to play in Japan, but the slugging outfielder chose to play in the U.S., and saw a promising opportunity with the Diamondbacks, whose left field situation remains uncertain.
Pena is a career .253 hitter with a .753 OPS and 77 homers in parts of seven big league seasons. He last played in the majors in 2008 with the Washington Nationals, who acquired him from the Sox as part of a three-way deal (that included the Arizona Diamondbacks) that netted Boston Chris Carter, who was subsequently moved to the Mets as part of the deal for reliever Billy Wagner in 2009.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday
- Kukuk arrested, charged with aggravated robbery
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Allen Webster
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Brandon Workman
- Alex Hassan claimed off waivers by Oakland
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: AFL winds down, Vazquez makes debut
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Jackie Bradley, Jr.