Source: Chien-Ming Wang seeking big league deal
|12.06.10 at 2:58 am ET|
According to a baseball source, former Yankees pitcher Chien-Ming Wang is exploring the market to see whether he can find a team willing to sign him to a big league deal. If he cannot find such a deal, the source said, Wang would likely return to the Washington Nationals, who are offering the 30-year-old a minor league deal.
Wang, a 19-game winner in 2006 and 2007, signed a one-year, $2 million deal with the Nats for 2010 that included $3 million in incentives. But his return from shoulder surgery in 2009 proved deliberate, to the point where he was unable to face hitters until the end of the year. There were some promising reports of his performance in Fall Instructional League, but after he’d missed the entire year, the Nationals elected not to tender Wang a contract as opposed to going to arbitration with a guarantee of at least $1.6 million.
The sinkerballer could represent an interesting buy-low option for a club seeking depth in its starting rotation. However, after not having pitched in a big league game since July 4, 2009, it remains to be seen whether his potential upside would convince a club to give him a major league contract that might be needed to woo him away from Washington.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016