Source: Chien-Ming Wang seeking big league deal
|12.06.10 at 2:58 am ET|
According to a baseball source, former Yankees pitcher Chien-Ming Wang is exploring the market to see whether he can find a team willing to sign him to a big league deal. If he cannot find such a deal, the source said, Wang would likely return to the Washington Nationals, who are offering the 30-year-old a minor league deal.
Wang, a 19-game winner in 2006 and 2007, signed a one-year, $2 million deal with the Nats for 2010 that included $3 million in incentives. But his return from shoulder surgery in 2009 proved deliberate, to the point where he was unable to face hitters until the end of the year. There were some promising reports of his performance in Fall Instructional League, but after he’d missed the entire year, the Nationals elected not to tender Wang a contract as opposed to going to arbitration with a guarantee of at least $1.6 million.
The sinkerballer could represent an interesting buy-low option for a club seeking depth in its starting rotation. However, after not having pitched in a big league game since July 4, 2009, it remains to be seen whether his potential upside would convince a club to give him a major league contract that might be needed to woo him away from Washington.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Cup of Coffee: Sermo homers three times; Basabe keeps streaking
- Scouting Scratch: Luis Alexander Basabe and Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Procyshen homers, Benintendi triples in victories
- Podcast Ep. #103: Yes Devers loves me, the homers tell me so
- Weekly notes: Benintendi moves to left field
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits, Kemp blasts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and Devers homer, Dalbec debuts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts in left, Basabe stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd spins gem, Hill stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Mendoza leads DSL 1 in lone affiliate victory