Blue Jays did talk to Jason Varitek before he signed with Red Sox
|12.07.10 at 4:43 pm ET|
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. — For what it’s worth, the Blue Jays did talk to Jason Varitek prior to the catcher re-signing with the Red Sox. The discussions, which never got too serious, shouldn’t have come as a surprise considering the presence of former Sox pitching coach John Farrell as the Jays’ new manager. The Blue Jays currently have J.P. Arencibia and Jose Molina as their catching tandem.
Also, A.J. Pierzynski, who was making the rounds in the lobby of the Dolphin Resort Hotel at the winter meetings, confirmed that he and the Red Sox had some contact prior to the catcher signing up with the White Sox. Pierzynski, who said he wouldn’t even classify the talk with the Sox as “preliminary,” relayed that he was pleased that Varitek returned to the Red Sox. “He deserves it,” the backstop said.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Trade Analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Tyler Thornburg
- Trade Analysis: Scouting the pitching prospects dealt for Chris Sale
- Trade Analysis: Scouting the hitting prospects dealt for Chris Sale
- Podcast Ep. #110: Dealin' Dave's Winter Sale
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo to play in Puerto Rican League
- November Notes: Prospect rankings and new CBA
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez belts walk-off home run
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Devers, Hernandez stand out in Dominican winter league
- Podcast Ep. #109: Alex Speier on Ranking the System
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez debuts, Tavarez, Mars stay hot