Blue Jays did talk to Jason Varitek before he signed with Red Sox
|12.07.10 at 4:43 pm ET|
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. — For what it’s worth, the Blue Jays did talk to Jason Varitek prior to the catcher re-signing with the Red Sox. The discussions, which never got too serious, shouldn’t have come as a surprise considering the presence of former Sox pitching coach John Farrell as the Jays’ new manager. The Blue Jays currently have J.P. Arencibia and Jose Molina as their catching tandem.
Also, A.J. Pierzynski, who was making the rounds in the lobby of the Dolphin Resort Hotel at the winter meetings, confirmed that he and the Red Sox had some contact prior to the catcher signing up with the White Sox. Pierzynski, who said he wouldn’t even classify the talk with the Sox as “preliminary,” relayed that he was pleased that Varitek returned to the Red Sox. “He deserves it,” the backstop said.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Weekly Notes: Red Sox win GCL title, Castillo debuts
- ESPN Boston: Farm clubs faring well
- Cup of Coffee: Rusney Castillo debuts, PawSox clinch wild card
- Red Sox acquire infielders Jemile Weeks and Ivan De Jesus
- Cup of Coffee: Haley, Light dominate, GCL takes game one
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson keeps rolling, GCL wins semifinal
- Cup of Coffee: Gonzalez leads combined no-hitter in DSL Playoff opener
- Cup of Coffee: Asuaje leads Salem to doubleheader split
- Players of the Week, 8/18-24: Brian Johnson & Mike Miller
- Cup of Coffee: Speier helps GCL Sox clinch division title