Blue Jays did talk to Jason Varitek before he signed with Red Sox
|12.07.10 at 4:43 pm ET|
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. — For what it’s worth, the Blue Jays did talk to Jason Varitek prior to the catcher re-signing with the Red Sox. The discussions, which never got too serious, shouldn’t have come as a surprise considering the presence of former Sox pitching coach John Farrell as the Jays’ new manager. The Blue Jays currently have J.P. Arencibia and Jose Molina as their catching tandem.
Also, A.J. Pierzynski, who was making the rounds in the lobby of the Dolphin Resort Hotel at the winter meetings, confirmed that he and the Red Sox had some contact prior to the catcher signing up with the White Sox. Pierzynski, who said he wouldn’t even classify the talk with the Sox as “preliminary,” relayed that he was pleased that Varitek returned to the Red Sox. “He deserves it,” the backstop said.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Betts Has Real Chance of Crashing AL MVP Party
- MLB Betting Preview: Red Sox vs. Orioles Odds, Analysis
- David Ortiz Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Foot
- Can Benintendi Be Pennant Race Difference-Maker?
- Updates on Red Sox Star Hanley Ramirez's Injury
- Andrew Benintendi Recalled from Double-a
- Fernando Abad to Red Sox
- Return to past hitting mechanics fueling Bobby Dalbec's success
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and LaMarre lead the way for PawSox
- Weekly Notes: Moncada, Devers, Tavarez nab postseason awards
- Cup of Coffee: Salem walks off, Downs homers
- Cup of Coffee: Groome impresses while Johnson falters
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects five hits, Chatham belts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon comes up clutch, Dalbec stays hot for Lowell
- Scouting Scratch: Mike Shawaryn and Shaun Anderson
- Cup of Coffee: LaMarre powers Pawtucket, Kopech whiffs 10
- After draft slide, Shawaryn regaining peak form in Lowell