Matt Diaz’ agent: ‘Could happen today’
|12.07.10 at 12:26 pm ET|
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. — Larry Reynolds, the agent for free agent outfielder Matt Diaz, wouldn’t confirm if the Red Sox were one of the suitors for the righty hitting outfielder, but did say “there are a lot of teams interested,” and that he thought a deal would be done in the “next couple of days, even today.” The 32-year-old would seem to be a good fit for the Red Sox, who, according to general manager Theo Epstein, a complementary-type right-handed hitter. Diaz who was non-tendered by the Braves, is a .335 career hitter against lefties.
The left fielder had a solid season in 2009 for the Braves, hitting .313 with 13 homers and a .878 OPS. Diaz suffered a right thumb injury which hindered in ’10 season, playing in 84 games and hitting .250 with seven homers. He spent time on the disabled list in May.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins