How Adrian Beltre could affect the Red Sox interest in Scott Downs
|12.08.10 at 4:59 pm ET|
Given the Sox’ history, they are inclined to keep as many top draft picks as possible. Downs, the left-hander who spent the last several years in Toronto, is a Type A free agent, meaning the Sox would have to surrender a draft pick in order to sign him. If the team does not sign another Type A free agent, that would require the Sox to give up their first-round pick to sign Downs, the No. 24 overall pick in next year’s draft.
But, if Beltre was to be signed by a team without a protected first-round pick (meaning a team picking after the No. 20 pick), they would get the signing team’s pick. For instance, if the Rangers — who have the No. 26 pick in the draft — moved third baseman Michael Young to another position and signed Beltre, it would mean that the Sox get the first-round pick from Texas.
That would give the Sox three first-round picks (the No. 19 pick from Detroit, their own No. 24 pick, and the pick from the Rangers). According to the source, that may make the Sox more willing to lose a first-round pick.
If, however, a team with one of the first 18 picks in the first round signed Beltre — for example, the Angels, who have the No. 17 pick, or the A’s, who have the No. 18 pick — the Sox would get a second-round pick for him. That would leave the Sox with only two first-round picks, making them more reluctant to part with their own.
The source also said that if the Sox were still in the market for a Type A free agent ranked higher than Downs by the Elias ratings — namely, Carl Crawford — then signing the reliever would cost a second-round pick. That would be another scenario that might make it easier for the Sox to sign Downs and lose a pick.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs