Sources: Red Sox not at Magglio Ordonez workout
|12.08.10 at 5:00 pm ET|
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. — According to multiple sources familiar with the situation, the Red Sox did not have a representative at the workout Magglio Ordonez participated in Wednesday in Florida. While Ordonez’ agent Scott Boras said that the goal of the workout — set up by head of the Boras Corporation’s fitness division, Steve Odgers — was to show that the outfielder was in good health after experiencing an ankle injury in 2010, and that the Tigers were going to be attending the event, the workout wasn’t on the Red Sox’ radar. It is, however, believed that the Red Sox do have some interest in the 36-year-old Ordonez.
“I just got a report that he went through it without any complication and it went great,” Boras said while meeting with the media Wednesday.
‘We had a chance to illustrate where his baseball abilities are at, just to show that he’s 100 percent. Magglio is a guy that has gotten a lot of interest from a lot of teams now that Jayson [Werth] has signed. He’s a middle of the [order] guy. He’s had a great average, been a productive guy, he’s a veteran player and he’s a winner. There are a lot of things about Magglio Ordonez where he fits a broad base of teams. Once Jayson signed, a lot of the teams interested in Jayson are now interested in Magglio.
‘When a player has an injury, we send the medicals to the clubs. They’ve had a great deal of time. Most of the teams understand, it was certainly something that took him off the field for six to eight weeks because it was a fracture of the ankle. But the fracture itself was just minor. It was something that really had to heal. There was no need for any intervention by a surgeon. It’s just really something where he can wait it out, get it back and now he’s back to 100 percent.’
For more from the winter meetings, see the Red Sox team page at weei.com/redsox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fort Report: Rankings, returns, & reporting to camp
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven