Sources: Red Sox not at Magglio Ordonez workout
|12.08.10 at 5:00 pm ET|
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. — According to multiple sources familiar with the situation, the Red Sox did not have a representative at the workout Magglio Ordonez participated in Wednesday in Florida. While Ordonez’ agent Scott Boras said that the goal of the workout — set up by head of the Boras Corporation’s fitness division, Steve Odgers — was to show that the outfielder was in good health after experiencing an ankle injury in 2010, and that the Tigers were going to be attending the event, the workout wasn’t on the Red Sox’ radar. It is, however, believed that the Red Sox do have some interest in the 36-year-old Ordonez.
“I just got a report that he went through it without any complication and it went great,” Boras said while meeting with the media Wednesday.
‘We had a chance to illustrate where his baseball abilities are at, just to show that he’s 100 percent. Magglio is a guy that has gotten a lot of interest from a lot of teams now that Jayson [Werth] has signed. He’s a middle of the [order] guy. He’s had a great average, been a productive guy, he’s a veteran player and he’s a winner. There are a lot of things about Magglio Ordonez where he fits a broad base of teams. Once Jayson signed, a lot of the teams interested in Jayson are now interested in Magglio.
‘When a player has an injury, we send the medicals to the clubs. They’ve had a great deal of time. Most of the teams understand, it was certainly something that took him off the field for six to eight weeks because it was a fracture of the ankle. But the fracture itself was just minor. It was something that really had to heal. There was no need for any intervention by a surgeon. It’s just really something where he can wait it out, get it back and now he’s back to 100 percent.’
For more from the winter meetings, see the Red Sox team page at weei.com/redsox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Garin Cecchini and Yoan Aybar
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Kevin McAvoy and Bryce Brentz
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Travis leads way as Scottsdale wins AFL title
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Travis Lakins and Jalen Beeks
- Light, Jerez, and Hernandez added to 40-man roster
- Light, Hernandez top list of potential Friday roster additions
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Christopher Acosta and Ben Taylor
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Austin Glorius and Jordan Procyshen
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Travis blasts walk-off home run
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Chandler Shepherd and Kyle Martin