Sources: Red Sox not looking to move Daisuke Matsuzaka
|12.08.10 at 10:37 am ET|
While the Sox have both Tim Wakefield and Felix Doubront available as potential rotation alternatives, the Sox currently view it as likely that Doubront could contribute to the 2011 team as a reliever. The Sox lack other reliable rotation alternatives in the upper levels of their minor league system, and so if they moved Matsuzaka in a trade, they would likely need to jump into an extremely shallow free agent pool to find further depth. The Sox have typically made a point of having seven solid big league starting options for any season, given the likely attrition of starting depth over the course of the season.
Several talent evaluators believe that it is possible that Matsuzaka — a study in unpredictability as a member of the Red Sox — could thrive if moved to the AL West or the National League, where bigger ballparks and less ferocious lineups would be more forgiving of his flyball tendencies. Even so, Sox manager Terry Francona suggested on Tuesday that the Sox continue to value the right-hander.
“if I sat here and told you I could figure him out, I’d be lying,” said Francona. “But if he’s pitching out of your four or five hole, you have a chance to have a really good staff.”
Matsuzaka also has a complete no-trade clause in his contract that permits him to veto any deal.
He was 9-6 with a 4.69 ERA last year, throwing 153 innings in 25 starts. He struck out 7.8 per nine innings while walking 4.3 batters per nine. But he also had several stretches in which he looked dominant, suggesting that his stuff was better than his numbers (even if the results were an accurate barometer of his performance). Towards that end, it would be possible that the Sox would be selling low if they dealt the right-hander.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Trade Analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Tyler Thornburg
- Trade Analysis: Scouting the pitching prospects dealt for Chris Sale
- Trade Analysis: Scouting the hitting prospects dealt for Chris Sale
- Podcast Ep. #110: Dealin' Dave's Winter Sale
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo to play in Puerto Rican League
- November Notes: Prospect rankings and new CBA
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez belts walk-off home run
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Devers, Hernandez stand out in Dominican winter league
- Podcast Ep. #109: Alex Speier on Ranking the System
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez debuts, Tavarez, Mars stay hot