Sources: Red Sox not looking to move Daisuke Matsuzaka
|12.08.10 at 10:37 am ET|
While the Sox have both Tim Wakefield and Felix Doubront available as potential rotation alternatives, the Sox currently view it as likely that Doubront could contribute to the 2011 team as a reliever. The Sox lack other reliable rotation alternatives in the upper levels of their minor league system, and so if they moved Matsuzaka in a trade, they would likely need to jump into an extremely shallow free agent pool to find further depth. The Sox have typically made a point of having seven solid big league starting options for any season, given the likely attrition of starting depth over the course of the season.
Several talent evaluators believe that it is possible that Matsuzaka — a study in unpredictability as a member of the Red Sox — could thrive if moved to the AL West or the National League, where bigger ballparks and less ferocious lineups would be more forgiving of his flyball tendencies. Even so, Sox manager Terry Francona suggested on Tuesday that the Sox continue to value the right-hander.
“if I sat here and told you I could figure him out, I’d be lying,” said Francona. “But if he’s pitching out of your four or five hole, you have a chance to have a really good staff.”
Matsuzaka also has a complete no-trade clause in his contract that permits him to veto any deal.
He was 9-6 with a 4.69 ERA last year, throwing 153 innings in 25 starts. He struck out 7.8 per nine innings while walking 4.3 batters per nine. But he also had several stretches in which he looked dominant, suggesting that his stuff was better than his numbers (even if the results were an accurate barometer of his performance). Towards that end, it would be possible that the Sox would be selling low if they dealt the right-hander.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller