John Kruk on The Big Show: It is now ‘imperative’ that Yankees sign Cliff Lee
|12.09.10 at 2:59 pm ET|
ESPN baseball analyst John Kruk joined The Big Show on Thursday, praising the Red Sox for the signing of Carl Crawford and noting that it is now crucial for the Yankees to sign free-agent starter Cliff Lee.
“It’s imperative,” Kruk said. “Not just because he’s left handed, but because Phil Hughes and CC Sabathia are the only to starters that are dependable. They need another one if they want to compete.”
Kruk pointed out that Crawford was likely drawn to the Red Sox because of the stability in the lineup and that “they can win two or three championships by the time” his deal expires.
Even if the Yankees were to sign Lee, Kruk felt that the Red Sox would still the best team in the league.
While he applauded the move to get Crawford, Kruk saw the acquisition of Adrian Gonzalez as the Sox’ biggest move, saying that “they just got an MVP” by trading for the slugging first baseman.
“He might be the best hitter in baseball in that ball park,” Kruk said of Gonzalez. “‘¦ It’s not going to shock me if he’s a 50-50 guy with 50 homers and 50 doubles in that ballpark. ‘¦ His average is going to go up at least 30 points just because he’s hitting in Fenway.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Red Sox Outfielder Chris Young Injury's
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- Can Red Sox Make Real Run at 1,000 Runs in 2016?
- Scouting Scratch: Kevin Steen, Enmanuel De Jesus and more Lowell pitchers
- Cup of Coffee: Beeks, Dubon debut at Double-A, Lowell wins again
- Sources: Mauricio Dubon promoted to Portland
- Scouting Scratch: Michael Kopech
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada stays hot in Portland; Lowell improves to 6-0
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada makes Double-A debut; Owens dominates for PawSox
- Cup of Coffee: Holt doubles twice in first rehab appearance
- Weekly Notes: Moncada promoted, Kopech debuts, and Salem claims Southern Division first-half title
- Cup of Coffee: Affiliates sweep, Moncada homers before promotion
- Moncada, Beeks, Taylor promoted to Portland