|Sources: Nothing done in regard to Red Sox acquiring Joe Blanton||12.14.10 at 8:53 am ET|
According to two major league sources familiar with the situation, no agreement has been finalized in regard to the Phillies sending pitcher Joe Blanton to the Red Sox.
SI.com previously reported the Red Sox had a deal in place to acquire starting pitcher Blanton from the Phillies. Earlier Tuesday, FoxSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal reported Phillies “were deep in discussions” about sending pitcher Blanton to the Red Sox.
The 30-year-old Blanton has two years remaining on his current contract, which would pay him $8.5 million in both 2011 and ’12. The righty went 9-6 with a 4.82 ERA in 29 appearances for the Phillies in ’10, while finishing with a 12-8 mark with a 4.05 ERA in ’09. Blanton did go 6-1 with a 3.48 ERA after the ’10 All-Star Game.
For more Red Sox coverage, see the team page at weei.com/redsox.
- Weekly Notes: Iglesias and Aceves promoted
- Cup of Coffee: Affiliates sweep, Natoli and Almanzar ignite Portland
- Red Sox recall Iglesias, Aceves; place Victorino, Middlebrooks on DL
- Cup of Coffee: Morales sharp in rehab outing as Sea Dogs roll
- Red Sox ink veteran lefty Rafael Perez to minor league deal
- Cup of Coffee: Vazquez nearly hits for cycle in Portland’s walk-off win
- Players of the Week, May 13-19: Mookie Betts and Matt Price
- Cup of Coffee: Montas strikes out eight in Greenville loss
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #34
- ESPNBoston: De La Rosa finding his way in Pawtucket