Yankees sign Russell Martin; Sox had limited interest
|12.14.10 at 11:20 am ET|
According to multiple reports, the Yankees have reached an agreement to sign catcher Russell Martin. Martin hit .248/.347/.322 with five homers in 2010 before a hip injury ended his season with the Dodgers in mid-August. The Dodgers did not tender him a contract earlier this month, fearing they would have to give the arbitration-eligible catcher a raise on the $5.05 million he earned last year.
The Red Sox were also interested in Martin, but their discussions with him were primarily as a depth option in case either Jarrod Saltalamacchia or Jason Varitek was injured in spring training. A source familiar with the discussions suggested that the Sox discussed a deal that featured little guaranteed money with the 28-year-old.
Martin’s batting average and OPS has gone down in each of the last three years. But he is also a two-time All-Star who as recently as two seasons ago was regarded as one of the best all-around catchers in the game, and at 28, he remains young enough that there could be upside.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Cup of Coffee: Portland mashes, Johnson headlines strong night of pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Chatham comes up clutch, Downs lifts Lowell
- Scouting Scratch: Henry Owens
- Cup of Coffee: Chris Marrero, pitching help PawSox clip Red Wings
- Cup of Coffee: Sermo homers three times; Basabe keeps streaking
- Scouting Scratch: Luis Alexander Basabe and Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Procyshen homers, Benintendi triples in victories
- Podcast Ep. #103: Yes Devers loves me, the homers tell me so
- Weekly notes: Benintendi moves to left field
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits, Kemp blasts two homers