Graphic: How stolen base artists age
|12.15.10 at 8:20 am ET|
In today’s column on how speedsters such as Carl Crawford age, Crawford was compared to a group of the 15 other players since 1901 to have accumulated 40 or more steals in five different seasons by age 28. It is a group that includes four Hall of Famers (Rickey Henderson, Ty Cobb, Eddie Collins, Max Carey) and one Hall of Fame hopeful (Tim Raines) as well as several players who performed at an All-Star level for some time. (Also included are players whose only reason for being in the big leagues was speed.)
Here is a more detailed look at the performance of those players as measured by their hitting lines, OPS+ (OPS compared to the league average, with 100 representing league average, 110 identifying a player whose OPS was 10 percent better than average, and 90 identifying a player who was 10 percent below average), games played per season and stolen bases per season.
The players’ performances are broken down by what they did through their age 28 seasons and what they did between their age 29-35 seasons (the duration for which Crawford is signed; he will turn 36 in August 2017, the final year of his contract).
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles