Graphic: How stolen base artists age
|12.15.10 at 8:20 am ET|
In today’s column on how speedsters such as Carl Crawford age, Crawford was compared to a group of the 15 other players since 1901 to have accumulated 40 or more steals in five different seasons by age 28. It is a group that includes four Hall of Famers (Rickey Henderson, Ty Cobb, Eddie Collins, Max Carey) and one Hall of Fame hopeful (Tim Raines) as well as several players who performed at an All-Star level for some time. (Also included are players whose only reason for being in the big leagues was speed.)
Here is a more detailed look at the performance of those players as measured by their hitting lines, OPS+ (OPS compared to the league average, with 100 representing league average, 110 identifying a player whose OPS was 10 percent better than average, and 90 identifying a player who was 10 percent below average), games played per season and stolen bases per season.
The players’ performances are broken down by what they did through their age 28 seasons and what they did between their age 29-35 seasons (the duration for which Crawford is signed; he will turn 36 in August 2017, the final year of his contract).
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller