Sources: Matt Guerrier turns down Red Sox to sign with Dodgers
|12.15.10 at 11:38 am ET|
As first reported by Erik Boland of Newsday (via twitter), reliever Matt Guerrier has agreed to a three-year deal with the Dodgers. One source with knowledge of the negotiations said that the deal is not done as of Wednesday morning, but that the Dodgers and the pitcher are working in that direction.
The right-hander had been offered a two-year contract with a vesting option for a third year by the Red Sox, according to a source with knowledge of the negotiations, but Guerrier apparently opted to go for the longer guarantee. Boland reports that the Yankees were also among the teams pursuing the right-hander.
Guerrier was one of the most consistent and durable pitchers on the relief market this year, having posted ERAs of 3.40 or better in five of his last six seasons. He had also made 73 or more appearances in the last four seasons with the Twins. Despite a relatively low strikeout rate (5.9 per nine innings in his career, 5.3 per nine innings in 2010), he established himself as an effective middle reliever who was able to induce groundballs.
“Guerrier is consistent,” said a scout of an AL team. “He’s a steady sixth, seventh inning guy.”
Guerrier is the third middle reliever to receive a three-year deal this winter, joining Joaquin Benoit and Scott Downs. The Sox are unlikely to go to such lengths in pursuing bullpen help, having signed just one reliever (Keith Foulke, a closer) to a deal of that length under GM Theo Epstein.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Fort Report: Moncada Madness
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster
- Drake Britton designated for assignment as Red Sox sign Ogando