Angels owner critical of Carl Crawford contract with Red Sox
|12.17.10 at 4:28 pm ET|
Angels owner Arte Moreno, in an interview with the LA Times, suggested that the Angels never had the opportunity to make a formal offer to free agent outfielder Carl Crawford before he agreed on his seven-year, $142 million deal with the Red Sox. While baseball sources indicated that the Halos had offered six years at $106 million with a seventh-year vesting option that would have pushed the deal to $126 million (the 7/$126 million figure potentially matching what Jayson Werth received from the Nationals), Moreno disputed that account.
“There were rumors out there, but we never made an official offer, and no parameters were discussed,” Moreno told the Times, adding later that when Angels GM Tony Reagins met with Crawford’s agent on the first day of the winter meetings, he was told that the outfielder already had an agreement in place, and that the Angels “never had a chance” to bid.
The Angels owner emphasized that the deal that Crawford signed with the Red Sox came with significant risk.
“It’s crazy. I paid [$183 million] for the team [in 2003], and now we’re talking $142 million for one player? Seven years on a player is a huge risk financially,” Moreno said in the story. “[Crawford’s] greatest asset is speed, and he’s a very skilled athlete who would have fit perfectly in left field for us. But we didn’t look at him as a power hitter in our stadium.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016
- December Notes: Sox deal key prospects for Sale, Thornburg
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rodriguez tweaks knee, Castillo rakes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramirez debuts, Vazquez homers
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Abad debuts, Hernandez goes deep again
- Scouting Updates: Mata leads group of DSL player page updates
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Eduardo Rodriguez debuts in Venezuela
- Trade Analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Tyler Thornburg