Bobby Jenks can make $1 million by closing out games
|12.21.10 at 10:44 pm ET|
According to a major league source, Bobby Jenks‘ contract — which is guaranteed to pay the reliever $6 million per season for the next two years — also includes some noteworthy bonuses. The 29-year-old can earn up to an additional $1 million by finishing games, specifically: $200,000 each for 30, 40, 50, 55 and 60 games completed.
(The last time the Red Sox issued such bonuses to free-agent relievers other than Papelbon were to Joel Pineiro and J.C. Romero, both of whom were considered candidates for the closing job when it appeared Papelbon might go into the starting rotation.)
‘We feel really lucky that Bobby wanted to pitch here and we were able to get someone of his caliber to join our bullpen and help Dan Bard set up for Pap,’ Epstein said.
‘It’s not everyday you can bring someone of this caliber without a closer opening. We felt lucky that it happened. Bobby is someone that has great stuff, but we see him as more than just a thrower. He really knows how to pitch, as well. He goes right at guys and throws strikes. He brings the kind of fearlessness to the mound we look for in a market like Boston. We think that he’s going to fit in great and hopefully be part of a pen that’s going to be one of the best ones we have around here in a long time.’
For more Red Sox coverage, see the team page at weei.com/redsox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Trade Analysis: Scouting Anthony Ranaudo
- Red Sox deal Anthony Ranaudo to Rangers for Robbie Ross Jr.
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Perth heads to the playoffs
- Rookie Dev Program notes: Ramos healthy, Swihart looks back
- Mookie Betts is prepared for whatever 2015 may bring
- Brian Johnson prepared to follow up stellar 2014 campaign
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Weeks helps Mayaguez advance to finals
- Rookie Development Program easing transition for young players
- Offseason Notes: Veterans Bianchi, Boggs highlight minor league signings
- Red Sox acquire Danny Rosenbaum from Nationals for Dan Butler