Source: Red Sox close to bringing back Hideki Okajima
|12.31.10 at 3:56 pm ET|
According to a baseball source, the Red Sox are close to bringing back Hideki Okajima on a one-year deal. The 35-year-old Okajima, who has been with the Red Sox since 2007, was non-tendered by the team in Nov. He went 4-4 with a 4.50 ERA in 56 games last season.
The agreement would be for a major-league deal, meaning the Sox would have to make a corresponding roster move to clear a spot on the 40-man roster for the lefty.
The Boston Globe was first to report the development. For more Red Sox coverage, see the team page at weei.com/redsox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Weekly Notes: Trade deadline approaches
- Cup of Coffee: Light continues to shine, Portland mounts a comeback
- Red Sox acquire two pitching prospects in Peavy trade
- Cup of Coffee: Pawtucket pushes streak to 11 games
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson strikes out 12 in win, Betts leads PawSox in route
- The Write-Up: Henry Owens
- Cup of Coffee: Owens falters in Futures rematch; Shaw leads PawSox
- Cup of Coffee: Martinez, Heller, Weems lead Salem bats in win
- Cup of Coffee: Light shines bright for Salem
- Players of the Week, 7/14-20: Michael Almanzar & Trey Ball