Report: No deal (yet) between Adrian Beltre, Rangers
|01.02.11 at 3:02 pm ET|
A report from piodeportes.com in the Dominican Republic on Sunday morning suggested that Adrian Beltre had reached a six-year, $96 million agreement with the Rangers, pending a physical. However, Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News (via twitter) cited a source who said that the report was inaccurate.
“Source: DR report is untrue. Rangers have no agreement with Beltre,” Grant tweeted.
Jon Morosi of FoxSports.com added (via twitter) that the “Rangers are still talking with Adrian Beltre, but there is no deal in place, source says.”
Coming off the second-best offensive season of his career, in which he hit .321 with a .919 OPS, 28 homers and 102 RBI for the Red Sox, Beltre was viewed as one of the top free agents on the market. Instead, reports suggest that teams that were interested — such as the Athletics and Angels — have pulled their offers (though the Angels reportedly remain willing to re-open talks with the 2010 All-Star), while the Red Sox’ interest in Beltre ended with their acquisition of Adrian Gonzalez.
From a Red Sox perspective, the Rangers represent something of a best-case scenario, since their pick in the first round (No. 26 overall) is unprotected, meaning that the Sox could get it if Beltre (a Type A free agent, whom a team must give up a first-round pick to sign) lands in Texas. Both the Angels (No. 17) and Athletics (No. 18) have protected first-round picks, meaning that the Sox would get no better than a second-round pick from those two clubs should they sign Beltre.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles