|Almost-Red Sox Max Ramirez designated for assignment by Rangers||01.03.11 at 3:33 pm ET|
The Rangers have designated Clay Rapada and Max Ramirez for assignment to make room for free-agent signees Brandon Webb and Arthur Rhodes. Does Ramirez’ name ring a bell? It should.
Ramirez was the player the Red Sox were all set to acquire in exchange for Mike Lowell last offseason. The deal ultimately blew up when the Rangers became wary of the third baseman’s surgically-repaired hip. (It was reported at the time that the sticking point was the determination that Lowell needed thumb surgery, but that wasn’t the case. It was the hip.)
In 56 games with Triple-A Oklahoma City last season, Ramirez, a right-handed-hitting catcher, hit three home runs to go with a .286 batting average. He appeared in 28 games with the Rangers in ’10, hitting .217 with two homers.
- Red Sox sign 1st-round pick Trey Ball (UPDATED)
- Cup of Coffee: Shaw, Haeger help Sea Dogs earn split
- Players of the Week, June 10-16: Keury De La Cruz and Anthony Ranaudo
- Red Sox reportedly sign 12th-rounder Jake Drehoff
- Wendelken added to South Atlantic League All-Stars
- Red Sox reportedly sign Bryan Hudson, Jantzen Witte
- Cup of Coffee: Spinners open season with 15-strikeout gem
- SoxProspects Video of the Week: A-Ball hitters
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #39.1: Mellen's Excellent Adventure
- 2013 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!