Boggs, Ripken named to International League Hall of Fame
|01.25.11 at 2:01 pm ET|
Wade Boggs and Cal Ripken added to their Hall of Fame resumes. The two players, whose careers landed them spots in Cooperstown, were elected to the International League Hall of Fame for their excellence while in Triple-A.
Boggs spent both 1980 and 1981 in Pawtucket, where he hit .322 with a .418 OBP, .416 slugging mark and .834 OPS. He hit just six homers in Triple-A, but in 1981, he developed extra-base power as a 23-year-old, hitting 41 doubles for the PawSox. In 1980, he hit .306, losing the batting title by .0007 points. He then led the International League in average (.335) and doubles in 1981.
Ripken joined Boggs in the International League in 1981, hitting .288 (fourth in the league) with a .383 OBP, .535 slugging mark and .919 OPS with 23 homers and 75 RBI, finishing in the top five in most offensive categories despite being — at age 20 — the youngest position player in the International League.
Boggs and Ripken both participated in the epic 33-inning game between the PawSox and the Rochester Red Wings, the longest game in the history of organized professional baseball. The first 32 innings took place on April 18 before the contest was finished on June 23, when Pawtucket plated a run to claim a 3-2 walkoff win.
Boggs and Ripken were joined in this year’s International League Hall of Fame class by former Yankees prospect Steve Balboni, remembered for prodigious home runs and an equally prodigious mustache. Balboni led the Interational League in 1981 with 33 homers and 98 RBI while hitting .247/.337/.532/.870 for Columbus. Balboni played parts of the next two years in Triple-A as well, hitting a league-leading 32 homers (in just 83 games) in 1982 and 27 in 1983.
Boggs will be inducted formally into the Hall of Fame at Pawtucket’s McCoy Stadium sometime in the coming season.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles