Source: ‘Doubtful’ Red Sox sign pitcher to major league deal
|01.25.11 at 4:58 pm ET|
While the Red Sox have not ruled out any more signings this offseason, a team source on Tuesday characterized it as “doubtful” that the team would sign a pitcher to a major league contract. That echoes the thoughts of GM Theo Epstein earlier this month.
‘For the most part we feel good about the team we’re bringing to spring,’ Epstein said in mid-January. “I think our big moves are probably over, but you never say never.”
The Red Sox were reported by Maureen Mullen of CSNNE.com (via twitter) to have interest in left-hander Joe Beimel, but if the Sox are indeed pursuing the southpaw specialist, it is unlikely that the team would be offering him anything other than a minor league contract.
Beimel, 33, made 71 appearances for the Rockies last season, posting a 3.40 earned run average and a 1.36 WHIP over 45 innings. He finished the season with 21 holds and one blown save. Over the last three years, he has a 3.01 ERA in 149 1/3 innings, having punched out 5.3 batters per nine innings with a 1.6 strikeout-to-walk rate, establishing him as a lefty specialist who gets southpaws out with bad contact rather than strikeouts.
Beimel has signed late in spring training in each of the last two seasons, having agreed to a one-year, $850,000 deal with the Rockies last March 23 and having signed with the Nationals on a one-year deal on March 18, 2009.
Though he signed late last year in spring training, the Rockies had actually acquired him from the Nationals at the July 31 trade deadline in 2009. The journeyman has also pitched in the Rangers, Pirates, Twins, Rays and Dodgers organizations. Over his 10-year career, Beimel has tossed 562 1/3 innings through 532 appearances. He’s compiled a 4.16 ERA and 1.48 career WHIP with 315 strikeouts.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Rookie Dev Program notes: Ramos healthy, Swihart looks back
- Mookie Betts is prepared for whatever 2015 may bring
- Brian Johnson prepared to follow up stellar 2014 campaign
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Weeks helps Mayaguez advance to finals
- Rookie Development Program easing transition for young players
- Offseason Notes: Veterans Bianchi, Boggs highlight minor league signings
- Red Sox acquire Danny Rosenbaum from Nationals for Dan Butler
- Red Sox announce front office moves
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Playoffs begin, Marban pitches well in Australia
- Betts, Castillo highlight Red Sox Rookie Development Program participants