Theo Epstein on Red Sox’ roster: ‘We’re more or less set’
|01.28.11 at 3:11 pm ET|
Speaking at an event honoring the Red Sox‘ Opening Weekend Experience winners at Fenway Park, general manager Theo Epstein said that other than a potential late minor-league signing the team’s spring training roster is fully constructed.
“Who knows when there might be a waiver claim, or one more minor league sign,” said Epstein, “but, we’re more or less set.”
The GM did note that one area the Red Sox might add another piece for depth on a minor-league deal is in the form of a potential starter.
“We do feel OK about our starting depth. That’s one area we’re still looking, there might be a late minor-league sign, somebody who can go to Triple A,” said Epstein, who has already signed veteran starters Brandon Duckworth and Jason Bergmann for organizational depth. “But right now those guys are looking for major league jobs, so we’ll see. We do feel like we have some built in depth.”
The Red Sox did show some recent interest in adding lefty reliever Joe Beimel, but it appears the pitcher will be inking a minor-league deal with the Pirates.
“Late in the offseason there are some guys who are potentially available on minor league deals who would be worth more than the look in camp, so we try and stay involved in some of those guys,” Epstein said. “Sometimes they stay on teams that have more openings on the 25-man roster.”
For more Red Sox news, check out the team page at weei.com/redsox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016
- December Notes: Sox deal key prospects for Sale, Thornburg
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rodriguez tweaks knee, Castillo rakes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramirez debuts, Vazquez homers
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Abad debuts, Hernandez goes deep again
- Scouting Updates: Mata leads group of DSL player page updates
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Eduardo Rodriguez debuts in Venezuela