Lowell Spinners announce plan to launch “Human Home Run”
|02.08.11 at 3:23 pm ET|
The Lowell Spinners, the Red Sox’ Short-Season Single-A affiliate, typically field a number of top Sox prospects at the infancy of their professional careers. Yet while they have offered the unique chance to get an early glimpse of players such as Kevin Youkilis, Jonathan Papelbon, Clay Buchholz, Jacoby Ellsbury, Jed Lowrie, Ryan Kalish and others in their early careers, the Spinners are just as well known for their rich history of innovative promotions.
It appears they are primed to make their promotional mark on the 2011 season as well. Here’s a press release on a unique event they’ll hold on July 5:
The Lowell Spinners, Class-A affiliate of the Boston Red Sox, are thrilled to announce the first ever ‘Human Home Run’ will take place at LeLacheur Park July 5, 2011, as the human cannonball, David Smith, Jr., will be shot from a cannon at home plate over the outfield wall following the conclusion of the Spinners game.
The concept of the Human Home Run was first approached nearly five years ago as an idea that may be possible and could be an exciting addition to the Spinnertainment schedule.
As the Spinners planned the 2011 Spinnertainment schedule, the time has finally game for the Human Home Run to come to fruition, one final big bang to celebrate the Fourth of July holiday.
‘When it comes to human cannonballs, David Smith is the best of the best,’ said Spinners Vice President Jon Goode. ‘This is an idea we discussed years ago and he saved it for the Lowell Spinners. Five years in the making, this is going to be a night you will not want to miss.’
Smith, whose father David Sr., holds the world record for farthest human cannonball flight of 185 feet, 10 inches, has performed over 500 times, yet the ‘Human Home Run’ presents a new challenge.
‘Where else are you going to be able to see nine innings of baseball followed by someone literally flying out of the ballpark,’ asked Goode. ‘To top it all off we have a fireworks show planned after the ‘Human Home Run.’ Just another night of Spinnertainment!’
The ‘Human Home Run’ will take the field following the completion of the Spinners game against the Connecticut Tigers. Following the show, the Spinners will conclude their celebration of Independence Day with another post-game fireworks show.
Group Tickets for this game and all 2011 Spinners home games are on sale now. Individual Tickets for this game and all 2011 Spinners home games begins March 15 at www.lowellspinners.com.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller