Lowell Spinners announce plan to launch “Human Home Run”
|02.08.11 at 3:23 pm ET|
The Lowell Spinners, the Red Sox’ Short-Season Single-A affiliate, typically field a number of top Sox prospects at the infancy of their professional careers. Yet while they have offered the unique chance to get an early glimpse of players such as Kevin Youkilis, Jonathan Papelbon, Clay Buchholz, Jacoby Ellsbury, Jed Lowrie, Ryan Kalish and others in their early careers, the Spinners are just as well known for their rich history of innovative promotions.
It appears they are primed to make their promotional mark on the 2011 season as well. Here’s a press release on a unique event they’ll hold on July 5:
The Lowell Spinners, Class-A affiliate of the Boston Red Sox, are thrilled to announce the first ever ‘Human Home Run’ will take place at LeLacheur Park July 5, 2011, as the human cannonball, David Smith, Jr., will be shot from a cannon at home plate over the outfield wall following the conclusion of the Spinners game.
The concept of the Human Home Run was first approached nearly five years ago as an idea that may be possible and could be an exciting addition to the Spinnertainment schedule.
As the Spinners planned the 2011 Spinnertainment schedule, the time has finally game for the Human Home Run to come to fruition, one final big bang to celebrate the Fourth of July holiday.
‘When it comes to human cannonballs, David Smith is the best of the best,’ said Spinners Vice President Jon Goode. ‘This is an idea we discussed years ago and he saved it for the Lowell Spinners. Five years in the making, this is going to be a night you will not want to miss.’
Smith, whose father David Sr., holds the world record for farthest human cannonball flight of 185 feet, 10 inches, has performed over 500 times, yet the ‘Human Home Run’ presents a new challenge.
‘Where else are you going to be able to see nine innings of baseball followed by someone literally flying out of the ballpark,’ asked Goode. ‘To top it all off we have a fireworks show planned after the ‘Human Home Run.’ Just another night of Spinnertainment!’
The ‘Human Home Run’ will take the field following the completion of the Spinners game against the Connecticut Tigers. Following the show, the Spinners will conclude their celebration of Independence Day with another post-game fireworks show.
Group Tickets for this game and all 2011 Spinners home games are on sale now. Individual Tickets for this game and all 2011 Spinners home games begins March 15 at www.lowellspinners.com.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- David Ortiz Discusses Retirement from Baseball, Time with Red Sox
- Jackie Bradley Jr. Is Now a Red Sox Star
- Big Papi Cementing His Legend with a Bang
- Ortiz Passes Banks, Mathews for 22nd Place on MLB's HR List
- Red Sox's High-Octane Offense Fueling Rise Back to Prominence
- Red Sox Score Double-Digit Runs for 4th Consecutive Game
- Red Sox 1st Team Since 1999 to Score 13+ Runs in 3 Straight
- Cup of Coffee: Rodriguez fires seven strong innings in rehab start
- Cup of Coffee: Raudes strikes out eight over six scoreless frames
- Weekly Notes: Rodriguez to start tomorrow for Pawtucket
- Cup of Coffee: Ball shines again for Salem
- The Write-Up: Eduardo Rodriguez
- Cup of Coffee: Kemp homers twice, Light hits 101
- Cup of Coffee: Moore comes through in the clutch for Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada wins it in extras
- Cup of Coffee: Elias's career night powers Pawtucket
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi drives in two to boost Couch, Sea Dogs