Red Sox sign Alfredo Aceves, envision him as a starter
|02.08.11 at 5:41 pm ET|
A major league source confirmed that the Red Sox have signed right-handed pitcher Alfredo Aceves to a big league deal worth $650,000, with another $100,000 in possible incentives. It is a split contract that would pay Aceves $200,000 if he is sent to the minors.
The 28-year-old spent parts of the last three seasons in the majors with the Yankees, producing a 14-1 record and 3.21 ERA while showing excellent command (2.1 walks per nine innings) and striking out 6.2 batters per nine innings. Aceves missed most of 2010 due to injuries, pitching just 12 innings in 10 appearances.
He then required surgery in early December to repair a broken clavicle suffered during an offseason bicycling accident in Mexico. The Yankees opted not to tender him a contract in December shortly thereafter, and reports suggested that a three-month rehab from the surgery would delay him at the start of spring training. The Boston Globe, which was first to report the Aceves signing, said that the right-hander worked out for the Sox on Monday.
The Sox don’t expect Aceves to have any restrictions in spring training. While his success in the majors was primarily as a reliever for the Yankees, the Sox are looking at him more as a starter. Aceves has made five big league starts, going 1-0 with a 3.42 ERA, and he has made 32 of his 36 minor league appearances since signing with the Yankees out of Mexico as a starter.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster
- Drake Britton designated for assignment as Red Sox sign Ogando
- Trade Analysis: Scouting Anthony Ranaudo