Red Sox sign Alfredo Aceves, envision him as a starter
|02.08.11 at 5:41 pm ET|
A major league source confirmed that the Red Sox have signed right-handed pitcher Alfredo Aceves to a big league deal worth $650,000, with another $100,000 in possible incentives. It is a split contract that would pay Aceves $200,000 if he is sent to the minors.
The 28-year-old spent parts of the last three seasons in the majors with the Yankees, producing a 14-1 record and 3.21 ERA while showing excellent command (2.1 walks per nine innings) and striking out 6.2 batters per nine innings. Aceves missed most of 2010 due to injuries, pitching just 12 innings in 10 appearances.
He then required surgery in early December to repair a broken clavicle suffered during an offseason bicycling accident in Mexico. The Yankees opted not to tender him a contract in December shortly thereafter, and reports suggested that a three-month rehab from the surgery would delay him at the start of spring training. The Boston Globe, which was first to report the Aceves signing, said that the right-hander worked out for the Sox on Monday.
The Sox don’t expect Aceves to have any restrictions in spring training. While his success in the majors was primarily as a reliever for the Yankees, the Sox are looking at him more as a starter. Aceves has made five big league starts, going 1-0 with a 3.42 ERA, and he has made 32 of his 36 minor league appearances since signing with the Yankees out of Mexico as a starter.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson keeps rolling, GCL wins semifinal
- Cup of Coffee: Gonzalez leads combined no-hitter in DSL Playoff opener
- Cup of Coffee: Asuaje leads Salem to doubleheader split
- Players of the Week, 8/18-24: Brian Johnson & Mike Miller
- Cup of Coffee: Speier helps GCL Sox clinch division title
- Marrero and Coyle headed to Arizona Fall League
- Cup of Coffee: Chavis rips first career home run in GCL Sox win
- Weekly Notes: Battle for CF heats up with new addition
- Cup of Coffee: Asuaje leads the way, Wilkerson keeps rolling
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson dominates NH, Coyle hits 14th