John Lackey’s wife ‘good’ after breast cancer diagnosis
|02.14.11 at 11:39 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — While addressing the media Monday at the minor-league training facility, John Lackey was asked about where he worked out in the offseason. “Actually, I was in California most of the time because my wife was getting some treatment out there,” he said.
Later, Lackey explained to WEEI.com that the “treatment” Krista Lackey was undergoing throughout the offseason was to combat breast cancer, which the Red Sox‘ pitcher’s wife was diagnosed with just prior to Thanksgiving.
Lackey, who was wearing a pink “Power Balance” bracelet on his left wrist as a way to further breast cancer awareness, explained that Krista “was doing really good,” and the University of New Hampshire graduate had caught the disease at a very early stage. The pitcher also wore sneakers with the Lance Armstrong motto “Livestrong” printed across them.
Lackey said at his introductory press conference with the Red Sox following the 2009 season that Krista, a Maine native, was a driving force in terms of encouraging the pitcher to sign a free-agent contract with the Sox.
After an offseason in California where Lackey explained he lost 10-12 pounds primarily through additional running, the 32-year-old was optimistic he could improve on a ’10 season in which he went 14-11 with a 4.40 ERA.
“There’s definitely room for improvement. I think experience of a year here will help, for sure,” he said. “I think I did some good things in the second half and hopefully just kind of keep that moving.’
For more spring training coverage, see the Red Sox team page at weei.com/redsox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Help Wanted: Writers
- Top 40 in Review: Heath Hembree and Steven Wright
- Top 40 Season in Review: Javier Guerra and Henry Ramos
- Top 40 in Review: Simon Mercedes and Carlos Asuaje
- Top 40 Season in Review: Anderson Espinoza and Alex Hassan
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rivero, Castillo make early impressions
- Top 40 Season in Review: Noe Ramirez and Luis Diaz
- Top 40 Season in Review: Bryce Brentz and Christopher Acosta
- Top 40 Season in Review: Justin Haley and Jake Cosart
- Top 40 Season in Review: Drake Britton and Dalier Hinojosa