Scott Boras would be proud of Jacoby Ellsbury
|02.16.11 at 9:48 am ET|
The Red Sox center fielder was asked two things repeatedly in various forms. Does he feel healthy? Does he resent the criticism he received time and time again for playing just 18 games in 2010 due to broken ribs suffered in the first week of the season?
After a while, even Ellsbury had to smile, realizing reporters wouldn’t let the issue go without several attempts.
“I’ve put it in the past, moving forward and excited about 2011. I’m moving on, moving on to 2011,” said Ellsbury.
He was even asked if he heard and saw the criticism laid at the feet of Bears quarterback Jay Cutler for coming out of the NFC Championship due to a knee injury.
“Yeah, yeah I did,” Ellsbury conceded. “No real comments on that either. I’m going to sound like a broken recorder.”
He also said he ‘feels good’ several times in his 12-minute chat, adding he isn’t worried about his ribs and is completely recovered from the collision with Adrian Beltre in Kansas City last April 11 that wreaked havoc with his season and landed him on the DL three times, with his last game coming on Aug. 13.
He batted just .192 in those 18 games, with more steals (7) and RBIs (5) than runs scored (10).
And like Beckett on Tuesday, he didn’t want to look back to the sub-par 2010 or the criticism of his toughness that came with it.
Instead, Ellsbury wants Red Sox Nation to know that he’ll play with the same wreckless abandon that was his trademark prior to last season, diving for fly balls in center and head-first slides into bases.
“I’ll be able to play with natural aggressiveness, just like I’ve always played,” Ellsbury said. “I’m not worried, I’m not worried at all. It’s not like I’m coming off a major surgery or anything like that. If anything, they should be stronger. Anytime you break something and let it heal, it’ll be stronger.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Trade Analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Tyler Thornburg
- Trade Analysis: Scouting the pitching prospects dealt for Chris Sale
- Trade Analysis: Scouting the hitting prospects dealt for Chris Sale
- Podcast Ep. #110: Dealin' Dave's Winter Sale
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo to play in Puerto Rican League
- November Notes: Prospect rankings and new CBA
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez belts walk-off home run
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Devers, Hernandez stand out in Dominican winter league
- Podcast Ep. #109: Alex Speier on Ranking the System
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez debuts, Tavarez, Mars stay hot