Scott Boras would be proud of Jacoby Ellsbury
|02.16.11 at 9:48 am ET|
The Red Sox center fielder was asked two things repeatedly in various forms. Does he feel healthy? Does he resent the criticism he received time and time again for playing just 18 games in 2010 due to broken ribs suffered in the first week of the season?
After a while, even Ellsbury had to smile, realizing reporters wouldn’t let the issue go without several attempts.
“I’ve put it in the past, moving forward and excited about 2011. I’m moving on, moving on to 2011,” said Ellsbury.
He was even asked if he heard and saw the criticism laid at the feet of Bears quarterback Jay Cutler for coming out of the NFC Championship due to a knee injury.
“Yeah, yeah I did,” Ellsbury conceded. “No real comments on that either. I’m going to sound like a broken recorder.”
He also said he ‘feels good’ several times in his 12-minute chat, adding he isn’t worried about his ribs and is completely recovered from the collision with Adrian Beltre in Kansas City last April 11 that wreaked havoc with his season and landed him on the DL three times, with his last game coming on Aug. 13.
He batted just .192 in those 18 games, with more steals (7) and RBIs (5) than runs scored (10).
And like Beckett on Tuesday, he didn’t want to look back to the sub-par 2010 or the criticism of his toughness that came with it.
Instead, Ellsbury wants Red Sox Nation to know that he’ll play with the same wreckless abandon that was his trademark prior to last season, diving for fly balls in center and head-first slides into bases.
“I’ll be able to play with natural aggressiveness, just like I’ve always played,” Ellsbury said. “I’m not worried, I’m not worried at all. It’s not like I’m coming off a major surgery or anything like that. If anything, they should be stronger. Anytime you break something and let it heal, it’ll be stronger.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016
- December Notes: Sox deal key prospects for Sale, Thornburg
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rodriguez tweaks knee, Castillo rakes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramirez debuts, Vazquez homers
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Abad debuts, Hernandez goes deep again
- Scouting Updates: Mata leads group of DSL player page updates
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Eduardo Rodriguez debuts in Venezuela