Pitching prospect Mathew Price rehabbing from Tommy John
|02.20.11 at 11:39 am ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — Red Sox prospect Mathew Price, a right-handed pitcher who was drafted out of Virginia Tech in the eighth round of last year’s draft and who signed for a $415,000 bonus, is among the group of players who is rehabbing in Fort Myers after undergoing Tommy John surgery last fall.
The Red Sox knew that there was a possibility that Price would need Tommy John surgery when they drafted him, but they initially tried to see if his elbow would respond favorably to rehab. However, the team had him undergo surgery shortly before fall Instructional League, feeling it made more sense to have his elbow repaired then rather than proceeding with rehab and potentially requiring that the procedure would still prove necessary if Price didn’t respond by spring training.
The Sox felt that Price’s stuff was among the best of any of the pitchers whom they signed in last year’s draft. He was scouted with a sinking 93-94 mph fastball, with a boost to 94-95 mph towards the end of the year. He also showed an above-average changeup and a curve that graded as below average.
Price proved inconsistent at Virginia Tech while going 7-4 with a 4.95 ERA, 85 strikeouts and 26 walks in 91 innings, but the Sox liked the upside of his stuff and athleticism. Given the relatively modest cost, position of the draft and potential upside of the pitcher, the Sox were willing to sign him despite the questions about his elbow.
For now, however, the development of the 21-year-old will have to wait while he rehabs from surgery. Price is slated to visit Dr. James Andrews to see if he can be cleared to being throwing.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system
- Podcast Ep. #105: MoncadainBoston
- Cup of Coffee: Devers helps keep Salem alive, Lowell eliminated
- Scouting Scratch: Jason Groome