Pitching prospect Mathew Price rehabbing from Tommy John
|02.20.11 at 11:39 am ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — Red Sox prospect Mathew Price, a right-handed pitcher who was drafted out of Virginia Tech in the eighth round of last year’s draft and who signed for a $415,000 bonus, is among the group of players who is rehabbing in Fort Myers after undergoing Tommy John surgery last fall.
The Red Sox knew that there was a possibility that Price would need Tommy John surgery when they drafted him, but they initially tried to see if his elbow would respond favorably to rehab. However, the team had him undergo surgery shortly before fall Instructional League, feeling it made more sense to have his elbow repaired then rather than proceeding with rehab and potentially requiring that the procedure would still prove necessary if Price didn’t respond by spring training.
The Sox felt that Price’s stuff was among the best of any of the pitchers whom they signed in last year’s draft. He was scouted with a sinking 93-94 mph fastball, with a boost to 94-95 mph towards the end of the year. He also showed an above-average changeup and a curve that graded as below average.
Price proved inconsistent at Virginia Tech while going 7-4 with a 4.95 ERA, 85 strikeouts and 26 walks in 91 innings, but the Sox liked the upside of his stuff and athleticism. Given the relatively modest cost, position of the draft and potential upside of the pitcher, the Sox were willing to sign him despite the questions about his elbow.
For now, however, the development of the 21-year-old will have to wait while he rehabs from surgery. Price is slated to visit Dr. James Andrews to see if he can be cleared to being throwing.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Podcast Ep. 84: Mailbag extravaganza!
- Cup of Coffee: Drive step closer to playoffs behind Drehoff, Moncada
- Cup of Coffee: Season comes to an end for DSL Red Sox
- Cup of Coffee: DSL Sox drop playoff opener; Espinoza dominates
- Weekly Notes: Greenville lineup turning heads
- Cup of Coffee: McGrath lights-out, Sea Dogs' bats back Wilkerson
- Cup of Coffee: Perez helps GCL Red Sox clinch division
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi remains hot, Hernandez impressive for DSL Sox
- Podcast Ep. 83: Interview Special with Michael Chavis and Nick Longhi
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada steals 40th, GCL Sox on brink of division