Carl Crawford: Little Papi is ‘going to be a YouTube star’
|02.21.11 at 2:22 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — The biggest star of 2011 Red Sox spring training is the son of one of the biggest stars in team history.
D’Angelo Ortiz, the charming 6-year-old son of David Ortiz has been stride for stride with his Big Papi of a father everywhere the big No. 34 goes.
On Monday morning, with Ortiz taking his second day of live batting practice against Red Sox relievers, “Little Papi” donned the Red Sox away grays with the No. 34 on the back, below the name “Ortiz,” just like his father. And just like his father, made people smile ear-to-ear with his impersonations of Red Sox hitters current and past.
“He’s going to be a YouTube star,” chirped Carl Crawford, whose open stance was one of the imitations performed by the slugger to be. Crawford was also sitting next to Big Papi, who enjoyed informing the new Red Sox star of his son’s personality.
Kevin Youkilis ‘ who was also a subject of the younger Ortiz’s performance ‘ gave names one-by-one, beginning with Adrian Beltre, now with the Rangers, then Marco Scutaro, Jason Varitek, followed by J.D. Drew, of course, his father, then Crawford and Youkilis.
In 2010, D’Angelo had to share the spotlight with another 6-year-old ‘ Victor Jose Martinez, the son of then-Red Sox catcher Victor Martinez. The two were regularly seen before games chasing each other in the Red Sox clubhouse and keeping the mood light.
Red Sox manager Terry Francona would occasionally call the two youngsters into his office for a good-natured meeting about baseball and other things.
Oh, and one more thing: D’Angelo Ortiz was born on Saturday, July 10, 2004, exactly two weeks before the Red Sox beat the Yankees, 11-10, in a legendary late-July game that set the table for a late-season run that would end in the club’s first World Series title since 1918.
That’s reason enough to keep D’Angelo around a team looking for another title.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016
- December Notes: Sox deal key prospects for Sale, Thornburg
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rodriguez tweaks knee, Castillo rakes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramirez debuts, Vazquez homers
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Abad debuts, Hernandez goes deep again
- Scouting Updates: Mata leads group of DSL player page updates