Carl Crawford: Little Papi is ‘going to be a YouTube star’
|02.21.11 at 2:22 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — The biggest star of 2011 Red Sox spring training is the son of one of the biggest stars in team history.
D’Angelo Ortiz, the charming 6-year-old son of David Ortiz has been stride for stride with his Big Papi of a father everywhere the big No. 34 goes.
On Monday morning, with Ortiz taking his second day of live batting practice against Red Sox relievers, “Little Papi” donned the Red Sox away grays with the No. 34 on the back, below the name “Ortiz,” just like his father. And just like his father, made people smile ear-to-ear with his impersonations of Red Sox hitters current and past.
“He’s going to be a YouTube star,” chirped Carl Crawford, whose open stance was one of the imitations performed by the slugger to be. Crawford was also sitting next to Big Papi, who enjoyed informing the new Red Sox star of his son’s personality.
Kevin Youkilis ‘ who was also a subject of the younger Ortiz’s performance ‘ gave names one-by-one, beginning with Adrian Beltre, now with the Rangers, then Marco Scutaro, Jason Varitek, followed by J.D. Drew, of course, his father, then Crawford and Youkilis.
In 2010, D’Angelo had to share the spotlight with another 6-year-old ‘ Victor Jose Martinez, the son of then-Red Sox catcher Victor Martinez. The two were regularly seen before games chasing each other in the Red Sox clubhouse and keeping the mood light.
Red Sox manager Terry Francona would occasionally call the two youngsters into his office for a good-natured meeting about baseball and other things.
Oh, and one more thing: D’Angelo Ortiz was born on Saturday, July 10, 2004, exactly two weeks before the Red Sox beat the Yankees, 11-10, in a legendary late-July game that set the table for a late-season run that would end in the club’s first World Series title since 1918.
That’s reason enough to keep D’Angelo around a team looking for another title.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins