Red Sox notes Tuesday: Jonathan Papelbon sits while Josh Beckett starts Sunday
|02.22.11 at 12:03 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — Red Sox manager Terry Francona announced Tuesday that Josh Beckett will start Sunday night’s official Grapefruit League opener against the Twins at Hammond Stadium. He will be followed by Clay Buchholz in the game. Daisuke Matsuzaka will start against the Twins on Monday afternoon in the City of Palms Park 2011 opener.
“It’s the Mayor’s Cup so we’re going to stack it a little bit,” Francona joked.
The Red Sox begin playing games with their traditional “college” doubleheader Saturday at City of Palms opener, with Boston College playing in the early game at 1 p.m. and Northeastern providing the opposition at 6 p.m. Kyle Weiland, 24, will start for the Sox against BC while 21 year-old prospect Stolmy Pimentel will get the assignment against the Huskies.
In other news Tuesday from Red Sox camp, closer Jonathan Papelbon is dealing with flu-like symptoms after tending to his wife, who according to Francona, was also sick. “He got through the whole [side session Monday],” Francona said. “He came out today [for umpiring meeting] but we kept him inside for the majority of the day. He was just really feeling it. To bring him out here today would’ve probably been a mistake.”
The team hopes to have Papelbon closer to full strength on Wednesday. Adrian Gonzalez took another 30 swings off a tee on Tuesday morning just before 7:30. Francona said the team is hoping Gonzalez will take Wednesday off before resuming on Thursday but indicated Gonzalez will have the final call, depending on how he is feeling.
The team also met with Larry Young and Joe Garagiola, Jr. of the MLB office in charge of umpiring. The two spoke and also took questions from players about MLB in-game procedures for 2011, including pace-of-game and on-field temperament.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- SoxProspects Staff Announcement: Promotions and new hires!
- Hanley Ramirez: A former top prospect returns
- Ryan Lavarnway designated for assignment as Sandoval signs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez shines in Puerto Rico
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Xander Bogaerts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Mookie Betts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday