Red Sox notes Tuesday: Jonathan Papelbon sits while Josh Beckett starts Sunday
|02.22.11 at 12:03 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — Red Sox manager Terry Francona announced Tuesday that Josh Beckett will start Sunday night’s official Grapefruit League opener against the Twins at Hammond Stadium. He will be followed by Clay Buchholz in the game. Daisuke Matsuzaka will start against the Twins on Monday afternoon in the City of Palms Park 2011 opener.
“It’s the Mayor’s Cup so we’re going to stack it a little bit,” Francona joked.
The Red Sox begin playing games with their traditional “college” doubleheader Saturday at City of Palms opener, with Boston College playing in the early game at 1 p.m. and Northeastern providing the opposition at 6 p.m. Kyle Weiland, 24, will start for the Sox against BC while 21 year-old prospect Stolmy Pimentel will get the assignment against the Huskies.
In other news Tuesday from Red Sox camp, closer Jonathan Papelbon is dealing with flu-like symptoms after tending to his wife, who according to Francona, was also sick. “He got through the whole [side session Monday],” Francona said. “He came out today [for umpiring meeting] but we kept him inside for the majority of the day. He was just really feeling it. To bring him out here today would’ve probably been a mistake.”
The team hopes to have Papelbon closer to full strength on Wednesday. Adrian Gonzalez took another 30 swings off a tee on Tuesday morning just before 7:30. Francona said the team is hoping Gonzalez will take Wednesday off before resuming on Thursday but indicated Gonzalez will have the final call, depending on how he is feeling.
The team also met with Larry Young and Joe Garagiola, Jr. of the MLB office in charge of umpiring. The two spoke and also took questions from players about MLB in-game procedures for 2011, including pace-of-game and on-field temperament.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins