Dustin Pedroia: ‘We’re going to kick BC’s (gluteus maximus)’
|02.25.11 at 9:12 am ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — Clearly one Red Sox player is ready to start playing again.
“We’re going to kick BC’s (butt),” said Sox second baseman Dustin Pedroia, exuding a healthy dose of fake intensity. (Note to Pedroia: It will be tough to top the 24-0 Sox win over Boston College in 2008.)
All kidding aside, the game is of some importance to Pedroia, who hasn’t seen real action since last Aug. 18.
“My biggest thing is to get out there and just get in the flow of the game and make sure I’m healthy and feel good. And just see pitches,” he said. “Just like any normal game the first game I’m out there. Just see pitches, get used to everything and that’s it. I just can’t wait. It’s going to be fun.’
The enthusiasm regarding leaving the team’s minor-league training facility and heading two miles down Edison Ave. for real games at City of Palms Park wasn’t reserved just for Pedroia. The players were in particularly good moods as they ventured into a day which included a short workout and subsequent charity golf tournament.
After Friday, after all, real games begin, starting with the traditional doubleheader against Boston College and Northeastern.
The lineups for the two games are as follows …
Against BC: Marco Scutaro SS, Dustin Pedroia 2B, David Ortiz DH, Kevin Youkilis 1B, Darnell McDonald LF, Ryan Kalish CF, Lars Anderson 1B, Josh Reddick RF, Ryan Lavarnway C, and Stolmy Pimentel gets the start on the mound.
In the night-cap vs. the Huskies the batting order will be: Jacoby Ellsbury CF, Jed Lowrie SS, Mike Cameron DH, Daniel Nava LF, Luis Exposito C, Hector Luna 1B, Yamaico Navarro 3B, Omar Linares RF, Larry Sutton C. Getting the start will be Kyle Weiland.
Notable inactive: Carl Crawford, who will make his Red Sox debut Sunday night against the Twins.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- What Is Patriots' Day? Your Introduction to Boston's Greatest Holiday
- Stock Up, Stock Down for Boston Red Sox's Top 5 Prospects for Week 1
- Jackie Bradley Jr. to Be Placed on 10-Day DL with Knee Injury
- David Price's 1st Bullpen Session Since Elbow Injury Captured on Video
- Chris Sale Produces Dominant Debut Red Sox Needed to See
- 5 Bold Predictions for the Boston Red Sox's 2017 Season
- Boston Red Sox: Complete 2017 Season Preview, Predictions
- Cup of Coffee: Devers homers, Shawaryn stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Lakins, Anderson deal, Swihart homers
- Cup of Coffee: Brentz homers in both ends of doubleheader
- Minor Notes: Steen in critical condition after early morning car crash
- Scouting Scratch: Rafael Devers
- System Restart '17: Low-level pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Sexton allows one hit over six innings for Greenville
- System Restart '17: Mid-level pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd, Rei highlight quiet night in system
- System Restart '17: Upper-level pitching