Afternoon Red Sox notes: Francona says Bobby Jenks, Ozzie Guillen feud ‘over’
|02.27.11 at 3:54 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. ‘ The Red Sox went through fielding and batting practice at City of Palms Park prior to heading across town to take on the Twins in the Grapefruit League opener at Hammond Stadium. Prior to the workout, Sox manager Terry Francona touched on a variety of items with the media:
‘ Francona said the feud between White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen and Red Sox reliever Bobby Jenks is “over,” having exchanged messages with Guillen and White Sox coach Joey Cora. “I spoke to Bobby, went back and forth with Ozzie, and I’m confident that will be over.”
The Sox manager added: “I don’t care if they like each other, but Bobby is a Red Sox and they need to move on. It doesn’t need to happen. He played for the White Sox, now he plays for the Red Sox.”
‘ Reliever Dennys Reyes threw 32 pitches off a mound Sunday, leaving the Red Sox brass confident that he was ready to throw to hitters Tuesday. “[Pitching coach] Curt [Young] was ecstatic.”
‘ Regarding Felix Doubront, who has been shut down for 10-14 days due to tightness in his pitching elbow, Francona said that strength and conditioning coach Dave Page has taken the opportunity to help the lefty’s conditioning while he wasn’t throwing. “Any time you’re missing in one area, you try and make up in another.”
‘ When asked about the Red Sox’ Sunday night starter, Josh Beckett, Francona said that he has noticed a difference in his demeanor, starting with the pre-camp meeting all players go through with the manager and their respective coach. “Determined, I think is the right word,” Francona said. “He’s focusing on a lot of things he knows he needs to do. Some of it on his own, some of it starting with Curt.”
‘ Francona said that pitcher Brandon Duckworth, whom was slated to follow Clay Buchholz in the scheduled progression of pitchers for the Red Sox Sunday night, was a candidate for a role in the Sox bullpen. “Health probably the biggest thing,” said Francona when asked what the team would be primarily looking at from Duckworth. “He’s a veteran guy and he knows what he’s doing. As long as he’s healthy he should be able to go out there and do pretty well.”
‘ The topic of shortstop prospect Jose Iglesias came up, and how he has progressed from a year ago. “I think he has a better understanding that he’s a young player, in camp. I think he’s very aware of settling in and proving his worth on the field,” said Francona, who noted the importance of Iglesias having his father with him this spring. “He’s an exciting player, though. His defensive skills are obvious to everybody, and as he develops patience at the plate he should turn into a pretty good hitter because can get the barrel of the bat to the ball.”
‘ Finally, the topic of the Mayor’s Cup came up. The award is given to whichever team between the Red Sox and Twins win the most head-to-head battles. This season the two clubs face each other five times, three of which will come in the next three days.
“[Twins manager Ron Gardenhire] can say all he wants, but he moved up [Carl] Pavano two days, and we’re bringing in [Clay Buchholz] second,” Francona joked. “It’s like facing the Yankees opening day, it’s too much too soon.”
Reminded that the Red Sox have won the last four Mayor’s Cups, Francona quipped, “It’s hard not to be arrogant,” and continued, “If we lose the first two we’ll think about bringing somebody back early.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins