Beckett suffers mild concussion
|02.28.11 at 7:18 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — The Red Sox have released a statement saying Josh Beckett suffered a mild concussion after being hit in the left side of the head with a baseball during the team’s batting practice prior to its game against the Twins at City of Palms Park Monday. He was sent home from the park and will be reevaluated Tuesday.
Beckett, who is scheduled to start Thursday against the Phillies, was standing in left-center field when a ball deflected off of coach Ino Guerrero‘s fungo bat. After being escorted off the field by the team’s medical staff, the pitcher didn’t have to go to the hospital, instead being treated at the park. The Sox planned to check in on the pitcher again on Monday evening, and then evaluate him on Tuesday to determine what — if any — activities he can do.
“I think it hit him in the temple,” said manager Terry Francona. “Bet you it felt like a bolt of lightning. That’s really not what you’re expecting. It’s just a fluke thing. Fortunately, it hit Beckett in the head. It’s better than hitting him in the shoulder.”
Beckett pitched in his first spring training game of the season Sunday night, giving up a run on two hits over two innings. He threw 23 pitches, 15 of which were for strikes. After the contest, he said, “If I’m healthy, the numbers will be there.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Notes from the Field: Devers power display highlights afternoon Drive
- Cup of Coffee: Henry Owens gets back on track
- Red Sox to field two DSL teams for first time since 2003
- The Write-Up: Eduardo Rodriguez
- April Players of the Month: Manuel Margot and Eduardo Rodriguez
- Cup of Coffee: Devers stays hot; Augliera, Gragnani lead Portland
- Weekly Notes: Swihart makes major league debut
- Cup of Coffee: Rafael Devers explodes at the plate, Brian Johnson stumbles
- Cup of Coffee: Aro throws four perfect innings, Rodriguez improves to 3-0
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas tosses Portland past Reading