Beckett suffers mild concussion
|02.28.11 at 7:18 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — The Red Sox have released a statement saying Josh Beckett suffered a mild concussion after being hit in the left side of the head with a baseball during the team’s batting practice prior to its game against the Twins at City of Palms Park Monday. He was sent home from the park and will be reevaluated Tuesday.
Beckett, who is scheduled to start Thursday against the Phillies, was standing in left-center field when a ball deflected off of coach Ino Guerrero‘s fungo bat. After being escorted off the field by the team’s medical staff, the pitcher didn’t have to go to the hospital, instead being treated at the park. The Sox planned to check in on the pitcher again on Monday evening, and then evaluate him on Tuesday to determine what — if any — activities he can do.
“I think it hit him in the temple,” said manager Terry Francona. “Bet you it felt like a bolt of lightning. That’s really not what you’re expecting. It’s just a fluke thing. Fortunately, it hit Beckett in the head. It’s better than hitting him in the shoulder.”
Beckett pitched in his first spring training game of the season Sunday night, giving up a run on two hits over two innings. He threw 23 pitches, 15 of which were for strikes. After the contest, he said, “If I’m healthy, the numbers will be there.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system
- Podcast Ep. #105: MoncadainBoston
- Cup of Coffee: Devers helps keep Salem alive, Lowell eliminated
- Scouting Scratch: Jason Groome