John Lackey ‘just tired of talking about last year’
|03.02.11 at 3:06 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — After turning in his first spring training out of the season, John Lackey reiterated that he is solely focused on the 2011 season and not concerned what transpired in ’10.
“Honestly, I’m just tired of talking about last year,” said Lackey after pitching two innings against the Braves at City of Palms Park Wednesday, allowing a run on four hits. He threw 41 pitches (25 strikes), one of which former Red Sox Alex Gonzalez hit for a solo homer. “I’m ready to move forward and work on this year.”
Lackey explained that he threw all fastballs in the outing in an attempt to build up arm-strength. He did make an alteration in his approach compared to last spring training, when the righty didn’t walk a batter until his final outing of the spring.
“I threw a bunch of two-seamers last year during spring training, trying to pitch more to contact,” he explained. “I think I threw one two-seamer today and the rest were four-seamers. I’m trying to get my arm strength and I’m ahead of schedule for where I was last year.”
As for his assertion that he feels markedly better at this point in the exhibition season compared to a year ago, Lackey said, “Last year coming into spring training I basically wanted to make it through spring training healthy because I hadn’t done it for two years before. I think it will be a fine line of pushing it a little more this year and still making it through healthy.”
Lackey, who was followed up by reliever Scott Atchison, said his plan is to work on his cutter before his next start, which will most likely be Monday at City of Palms Park against the Orioles.
For more spring training coverage, see the Red Sox team page at weei.com/redsox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016
- December Notes: Sox deal key prospects for Sale, Thornburg
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rodriguez tweaks knee, Castillo rakes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramirez debuts, Vazquez homers
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Abad debuts, Hernandez goes deep again
- Scouting Updates: Mata leads group of DSL player page updates
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Eduardo Rodriguez debuts in Venezuela