Josh Beckett passes concussion test, but will miss scheduled start
|03.02.11 at 10:14 am ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — Josh Beckett, who suffered a mild concussion when hit in the head with a ball during batting practice Monday, passed his physical examination Wednesday morning, but will still miss his scheduled start against the Phillies Thursday. Minor-leaguer Stolmy Pimentel will replace Beckett as the Red Sox‘ starter against the Phillies.
“He passed his test, which means he’s allowed to do some activity. Now again, they have to monitor his activity,” said Red Sox manager Terry Francona. “He’ll do some biking and some light throwing and then we’ll see how he progresses from there.”
Beckett told WEEI.com before taking the medical staff’s examination that he felt better than Tuesday, although the pitcher did feel progressively worse as the day went on. Beckett explained he had still battled feeling uneasy when doing physical activity the day after experiencing the concussion.
Francona explained that if all goes well the plan is for Beckett to make his next start with the usual four days of rest from the time of his scheduled Thursday start.
“How he gets to that start is up to how he feels and how he and [pitching coach] Curt [Young] decide to do it,” the Red Sox manager said.
“The No. 1 thing is to make sure he’s OK and he tolerates his activity. He’s only missed one day of throwing. We’ll see where he’s at.”
Beckett suffered the injury when batting practice pitcher Ino Guerrero hit a ball back into the infield from the outfield during practice, hitting the righty on left/front side of his head. The pitcher immediately went to one knee before being guided off the City of Palms Park field by Red Sox medical personnel.
For more spring training coverage, see the Red Sox team page at weei.com/redsox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Fort Report: Another round of cuts as Opening Day nears
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players