Ruben Amaro believes the Red Sox are the team to beat
|03.03.11 at 1:32 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — If Red Sox fans were looking for how the rest of the baseball world viewed their team, they might want to have sat in on Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro’s meeting with the media prior to his team’s game against the Sox Thursday at City of Palms Park.
“This is the best club in baseball, I think,” Amaro said. “The combination of speed power pitching bullpen, they’re a hell of a ballclub. Don’t have a whole lot of holes.”
Amaro’s team, of course, is no slouch, either. With addition of Cliff Lee to a rotation that already included Roy Halladay, Roy Oswalt, and Thursday’s starter, Cole Hamels, many believe the Philadelphia is the team to beat in the National League. But, evidently, the Phils’ chief decision-maker believes his club still has some catching up to do if they’re to be lumped in with the Red Sox.
“Any time you bring tha kind of talent to your club, they did a heck of a job,” Amaro said. “They already had a great team except for a whole hell of a lot of injuries. For them being in the race, to hang around as decimated as they were, they were decimated every bit as much as the Mets were a couple years back.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Boston Red Sox: Ranking the Top 10 Prospects Ahead of Spring Training
- Red Sox Spring Training 2017 Preview: Predictions, Players to Watch and...
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016