Ruben Amaro believes the Red Sox are the team to beat
|03.03.11 at 1:32 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — If Red Sox fans were looking for how the rest of the baseball world viewed their team, they might want to have sat in on Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro’s meeting with the media prior to his team’s game against the Sox Thursday at City of Palms Park.
“This is the best club in baseball, I think,” Amaro said. “The combination of speed power pitching bullpen, they’re a hell of a ballclub. Don’t have a whole lot of holes.”
Amaro’s team, of course, is no slouch, either. With addition of Cliff Lee to a rotation that already included Roy Halladay, Roy Oswalt, and Thursday’s starter, Cole Hamels, many believe the Philadelphia is the team to beat in the National League. But, evidently, the Phils’ chief decision-maker believes his club still has some catching up to do if they’re to be lumped in with the Red Sox.
“Any time you bring tha kind of talent to your club, they did a heck of a job,” Amaro said. “They already had a great team except for a whole hell of a lot of injuries. For them being in the race, to hang around as decimated as they were, they were decimated every bit as much as the Mets were a couple years back.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Red Sox Outfielder Chris Young Injury's
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- Can Red Sox Make Real Run at 1,000 Runs in 2016?
- 2016 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Chris Marrero, Sean O'Sullivan selected to Int'l League All-Star Game
- Scouting Scratch: Josh Pennington, Darwinzon Hernandez and Gerson Bautista
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi celebrates Futures Game selection with four-hit night
- Moncada and Benintendi named to Futures Game
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson strikes out eight to make his case
- Podcast Ep. #100: Your regularly scheduled June programming
- Red Sox promote Miller, option Cuevas
- Weekly Notes: Promotions continue and scouting notes
- Cup of Coffee: Ball great again, Benintendi stays hot