Ruben Amaro believes the Red Sox are the team to beat
|03.03.11 at 1:32 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — If Red Sox fans were looking for how the rest of the baseball world viewed their team, they might want to have sat in on Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro’s meeting with the media prior to his team’s game against the Sox Thursday at City of Palms Park.
“This is the best club in baseball, I think,” Amaro said. “The combination of speed power pitching bullpen, they’re a hell of a ballclub. Don’t have a whole lot of holes.”
Amaro’s team, of course, is no slouch, either. With addition of Cliff Lee to a rotation that already included Roy Halladay, Roy Oswalt, and Thursday’s starter, Cole Hamels, many believe the Philadelphia is the team to beat in the National League. But, evidently, the Phils’ chief decision-maker believes his club still has some catching up to do if they’re to be lumped in with the Red Sox.
“Any time you bring tha kind of talent to your club, they did a heck of a job,” Amaro said. “They already had a great team except for a whole hell of a lot of injuries. For them being in the race, to hang around as decimated as they were, they were decimated every bit as much as the Mets were a couple years back.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Hanley Ramirez: A former top prospect returns
- Ryan Lavarnway designated for assignment as Sandoval signs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez shines in Puerto Rico
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Xander Bogaerts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Mookie Betts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday
- Kukuk arrested, charged with aggravated robbery