Yankees raised money for Red Sox first base coach Johnson’s daughter
|03.03.11 at 7:51 pm ET|
Dan Barbarisi of the Wall Street Journal wrote a touching story about the generosity of Yankees players in support of Bridget Johnson, the daughter of Red Sox first base coach Ron Johnson. Bridget Johnson, 11, lost her leg after a car ran into her while she was riding a horse near her home in Tennessee last year.
Yankees hitting coach Kevin Long had played for Ron Johnson in the minor leagues in the 1990s and, while few New York players had a personal connection to the Johnsons, at Long’s behest, they nevertheless collected what the story describes as “significant checks” in support of the Johnson family as they struggled with medical bills.
From the story:
“We got out of the hospital, we got home, and one day this package showed up from the Yankees,” Johnson said.
Johnson opened it, curious, his wife Daphane nearby.
“I said, ‘Huh?’ And it was from Kevin. With a little note, saying ‘I never forgot what you did for me, and I hope this helps.’ It was incredible. I showed it to Daphane, she started crying,” Johnson said.
Since then, some Yankee players have kept up on Bridget’s progress, prodding Long for updates, Jorge Posada said.
Joe McDonald of ESPN.com also detailed the Yankees’ generosity, noting how grateful Johnson is that the competition between the two clubs does not extend off the field.
“Yeah, it’s a rivalry, but it makes everything so much clearer that there’s baseball and then there’s the human aspect,” Johnson said. “I know there’s stuff that happens on the field, but they’re human beings, and it’s real neat [what they did].
“As I’ve seen more than anybody, the support I’ve had from the Red Sox organization is unbelievable. This was just another piece — a phenomenal deed. Amazing.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- What Is Patriots' Day? Your Introduction to Boston's Greatest Holiday
- Stock Up, Stock Down for Boston Red Sox's Top 5 Prospects for Week 1
- Jackie Bradley Jr. to Be Placed on 10-Day DL with Knee Injury
- David Price's 1st Bullpen Session Since Elbow Injury Captured on Video
- Chris Sale Produces Dominant Debut Red Sox Needed to See
- 5 Bold Predictions for the Boston Red Sox's 2017 Season
- Boston Red Sox: Complete 2017 Season Preview, Predictions
- System Restart '17: Mid-level pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd, Rei highlight quiet night in system
- System Restart '17: Upper-level pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Shawaryn strikes out nine as Drive cruise
- Minor Notes: Workman dominant in PawSox bullpen
- The Write-Up: Jalen Beeks
- Cup of Coffee: Olt leads Sea Dogs to walkoff win
- Cup of Coffee: Beeks tosses complete-game shutout
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Victor Garcia
- Cup of Coffee: Ockimey homers twice, Salem sweeps twin bill