Morning Red Sox notes: The flu bug cometh
|03.05.11 at 11:05 am ET|
The Red Sox will play a pair of split-squad games on Saturday, with one group remaining in Fort Myers to host the Marlins and another deploying to Sarasota to take on the Orioles. Outfielder J.D. Drew was scheduled to make the trip to Sarasota, but he was instead told to stay at home after getting hit with a flu bug.
A virus is apparently making the proverbial rounds, also having claimed pitcher Jon Lester, whom manager Terry Francona said will probably miss his scheduled Sunday start against the Mets in Port St. Lucie. The team will likely have Lester throw a simulated game when he is healthy enough to do so. Assuming Lester misses his start, Michael Bowden — who was scheduled to pitch in relief on Sunday — would instead get the ball as the starter.
A few other morning notes:
–Infielder Brent Dlugach was examined by Dr. Thomas Gill, who confirmed the initial MRI diagnosis of a dislocated shoulder. That will likely sideline him for much of spring training, but Francona was able to point to another player to offer hope for the 28-year-old.
“Darnell McDonald is a good example of that,” Francona told reporters. “He was frustrated last spring [after missing most of the exhibition calendar with a strained oblique], but he did his work and got healthy and went and played real well. We’re not going to write guys off because they got hurt. But they have to get healthy or they can’t do what they’re supposed to do.’
–Left-hander Felix Doubront will play catch on Saturday, and if all goes well, he will begin a throwing program.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster
- Drake Britton designated for assignment as Red Sox sign Ogando
- Trade Analysis: Scouting Anthony Ranaudo