Red Sox Rule 5 draftee Cesar Cabral goes from Rays to Blue Jays
|03.12.11 at 5:24 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — Left-hander Cesar Cabral has entered the Rule 5 spin cycle.
The 22-year-old, who had a 3.63 ERA and more than a strikeout an inning while splitting 2010 between Low-A Greenville and Hi-A Salem, was selected by the Rays in Dec. in baseball’s Rule 5 draft. Players selected in the Rule 5 draft (at a cost of $50,000, paid to their original team) must either remain on a major league roster or be placed on waivers before being offered back to their former clubs.
The Rays took a flier on the young southpaw at a time when they had almost no arms in their bullpen. He features a solid fastball that is typically in the 93-94 mph vicinity, as well as a slider that produces swings and misses; he also worked last year on a changeup that was viewed by the Sox as a work in progress. It was a mix that made him an intriguing candidate for a bullpen job when Tampa Bay was preparing to see one reliever after another head for greener pastures.
Since the Rule 5 draft, however, the Rays have acquired a number of talented arms in trades and through free agency, reducing Cabral’s candidacy for a bullpen shot to an extreme longshot. He allowed a pair of runs, struck out four and walked two in 3 2/3 innings in Tampa Bay’s camp, but with most teams making their first wave of cuts now, Cabral was placed on waivers.
However, the Blue Jays claimed him, and so now, Cabral will be entering the camp of another American League East team. He will have the opportunity to stick with the Jays, but if he does not, then he will once again face the possibility of relocation, either to the Sox (if no other team claims him) or another team.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016
- December Notes: Sox deal key prospects for Sale, Thornburg
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rodriguez tweaks knee, Castillo rakes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramirez debuts, Vazquez homers
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Abad debuts, Hernandez goes deep again