Red Sox Rule 5 draftee Cesar Cabral goes from Rays to Blue Jays
|03.12.11 at 5:24 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — Left-hander Cesar Cabral has entered the Rule 5 spin cycle.
The 22-year-old, who had a 3.63 ERA and more than a strikeout an inning while splitting 2010 between Low-A Greenville and Hi-A Salem, was selected by the Rays in Dec. in baseball’s Rule 5 draft. Players selected in the Rule 5 draft (at a cost of $50,000, paid to their original team) must either remain on a major league roster or be placed on waivers before being offered back to their former clubs.
The Rays took a flier on the young southpaw at a time when they had almost no arms in their bullpen. He features a solid fastball that is typically in the 93-94 mph vicinity, as well as a slider that produces swings and misses; he also worked last year on a changeup that was viewed by the Sox as a work in progress. It was a mix that made him an intriguing candidate for a bullpen job when Tampa Bay was preparing to see one reliever after another head for greener pastures.
Since the Rule 5 draft, however, the Rays have acquired a number of talented arms in trades and through free agency, reducing Cabral’s candidacy for a bullpen shot to an extreme longshot. He allowed a pair of runs, struck out four and walked two in 3 2/3 innings in Tampa Bay’s camp, but with most teams making their first wave of cuts now, Cabral was placed on waivers.
However, the Blue Jays claimed him, and so now, Cabral will be entering the camp of another American League East team. He will have the opportunity to stick with the Jays, but if he does not, then he will once again face the possibility of relocation, either to the Sox (if no other team claims him) or another team.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Fort Report: Moncada Madness
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster
- Drake Britton designated for assignment as Red Sox sign Ogando