Red Sox Rule 5 draftee Cesar Cabral goes from Rays to Blue Jays
|03.12.11 at 5:24 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — Left-hander Cesar Cabral has entered the Rule 5 spin cycle.
The 22-year-old, who had a 3.63 ERA and more than a strikeout an inning while splitting 2010 between Low-A Greenville and Hi-A Salem, was selected by the Rays in Dec. in baseball’s Rule 5 draft. Players selected in the Rule 5 draft (at a cost of $50,000, paid to their original team) must either remain on a major league roster or be placed on waivers before being offered back to their former clubs.
The Rays took a flier on the young southpaw at a time when they had almost no arms in their bullpen. He features a solid fastball that is typically in the 93-94 mph vicinity, as well as a slider that produces swings and misses; he also worked last year on a changeup that was viewed by the Sox as a work in progress. It was a mix that made him an intriguing candidate for a bullpen job when Tampa Bay was preparing to see one reliever after another head for greener pastures.
Since the Rule 5 draft, however, the Rays have acquired a number of talented arms in trades and through free agency, reducing Cabral’s candidacy for a bullpen shot to an extreme longshot. He allowed a pair of runs, struck out four and walked two in 3 2/3 innings in Tampa Bay’s camp, but with most teams making their first wave of cuts now, Cabral was placed on waivers.
However, the Blue Jays claimed him, and so now, Cabral will be entering the camp of another American League East team. He will have the opportunity to stick with the Jays, but if he does not, then he will once again face the possibility of relocation, either to the Sox (if no other team claims him) or another team.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller