Why Jarrod Saltalamacchia has entered the world of Twitter
|03.18.11 at 9:32 am ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — Spelling Jarrod Saltalamacchia’s name just got even more confusing.
In the last few days, the Red Sox catcher has entered the 140-character world that is all the rage, building a whole new identity that can now be found when typing “@Jarrod_Salty39″ into a Twitter search. That’s right: Saltalamacchia is now a social media maven.
At the suggestion of a friend, the backstop dove into the world of Twitter (along with teammate @JacobyEllsbury) Thursday. As of this writing, Saltalamacchia had picked up 2,324 followers despite having only posted three items.
“For me it was just to be able to connect with fans at a bigger level,” Saltalamacchia said Friday morning. “We’re at the field and nobody understands when we’re done with the day we have family to go home to. If we have time to sign or talk, we do it, but if we don’t we go home. It’s kind of a way to get out to the fans a little bit and thank them.”
Thus far, Saltalamacchia admits he really hasn’t grasped the intricacies of the phenomenon. He follows just four accounts (three sponsored by Major League Baseball, and, of course, Charlie Sheen). He still hasn’t even begun to track the posts of his Twitter mentor, former teammate C.J. Wilson (@str8edgeracer), whose account has a whopping 49,859 followers.
“I had no idea of how to do it. But through a friend I learned about it and it sounded pretty good cool,” Saltalamacchia said. “It’s a great thing to do. I picked up on it and I’ll try to figure it out the best I can. I’m trying to get the hang of it.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies