Dennys Reyes, Matt Albers make Sox bullpen; Hideki Okajima, Alfredo Aceves sent to minors
|03.28.11 at 9:40 am ET|
Hideki Okajima will start the season in Triple-A along with fellow reliever Alfredo Aceves, Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein announced Monday morning. Epstein divulged the team’s final roster moves in preparation for Friday’s season opener at Texas.
The assignments of Okajima and Aceves to Pawtucket makes room in the Boston bullpen for left-hander Dennys Reyes and righty Matt Albers. Reyes and Albers are on major league contracts (after the Sox purchased Reyes’ contract Saturday) and do not have options.
Reyes, who turns 34 on April 19, pitched in 59 games for the Cardinals in 2010. He had a 3-1 record with a 3.55 ERA and a WHIP of 1.45. After giving up a hit and a walk in one inning Sunday vs. the Orioles, his spring training ERA sits at 2.70 and his WHIP is 1.40 in 10.0 innings.
Albers, 28, ranked third among American League relievers last season with 75 2/3 innings pitched for the Orioles. He had a 5-3 record with a 4.52 ERA and a WHIP of 1.48. Albers pitched Sunday against his former team and allowed his first two walks and first run of spring training. His 2010 spring training ERA is 2.84 with a WHIP of 1.26 in 12.2 IP.
Aceves, 28, went 3-0 with a 3.00 ERA and 1.17 WHIP in 10 games for the Yankees last season. This spring he has a 4.05 ERA and 1.20 WHIP in 13.1 IP.
Okajima, 35, has spent four seasons with the Red Sox, but he had his worst season in 2010. Okajima went 4-4 with a 4.50 ERA and 1.72 WHIP in 56 games. This spring he has a 5.14 ERA and 1.57 WHIP in 7.0 IP.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox acquire infielders Jemile Weeks and Ivan De Jesus
- Cup of Coffee: Haley, Light dominate, GCL takes game one
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson keeps rolling, GCL wins semifinal
- Cup of Coffee: Gonzalez leads combined no-hitter in DSL Playoff opener
- Cup of Coffee: Asuaje leads Salem to doubleheader split
- Players of the Week, 8/18-24: Brian Johnson & Mike Miller
- Cup of Coffee: Speier helps GCL Sox clinch division title
- Marrero and Coyle headed to Arizona Fall League
- Cup of Coffee: Chavis rips first career home run in GCL Sox win
- Weekly Notes: Battle for CF heats up with new addition