Adrian Gonzalez says his spring went perfectly
|03.29.11 at 7:33 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. ‘ Red Sox first baseman Adrian Gonzalez hit his second homer of the spring (and second in three games), a towering solo shot to left, in the final game of Grapefruit League play, as the Sox and Rays played to a 1-1 nine-inning tie Tuesday. After the contest, Gonzalez — who finished the spring with a .308 average in 10 games spanning 26 at-bats — said that the spring had gone as well as he could have hoped as he recovered from the surgery to repair his right shoulder labrum.
‘I think so,’ Gonzalez said when asked if his spring went perfectly according to blueprint. ‘Coming here, I knew that if everything came out as planned I would be ready for Opening Day. Then I came here and I was ready earlier than I’d hoped, I got more at-bats than I thought I was going to get, and I feel really good going into the season.’
Gonzalez appeared to build progressively into comfort at the plate. He got enough at-bats that he was able build strength to the point where he could resue using his normal bat, and he also saw enough pitches that he feels that, in leaving Fort Myers, his timing is where it needs to be for the regular season.
‘[Timing] feels good. I think after that minor league game, things started to click and I started to feel more comfortable at the plate,’ he added, referring to a game against Sox minor leaguers last week in which Gonzalez got six at-bats against Sox pitchers.
Now, after an offseason of anticipation following his trade to the Red Sox in December, Gonzalez said he is eager for the start of the regular season schedule.
‘Definitely, it’s been on my mind for a couple of days. It’s getting closer every day, which is awesome,’ Gonzalez said. ‘Being able to get out of here is one of those final steps for knowing that you’re real close.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins