Adrian Gonzalez says his spring went perfectly
|03.29.11 at 7:33 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. ‘ Red Sox first baseman Adrian Gonzalez hit his second homer of the spring (and second in three games), a towering solo shot to left, in the final game of Grapefruit League play, as the Sox and Rays played to a 1-1 nine-inning tie Tuesday. After the contest, Gonzalez — who finished the spring with a .308 average in 10 games spanning 26 at-bats — said that the spring had gone as well as he could have hoped as he recovered from the surgery to repair his right shoulder labrum.
‘I think so,’ Gonzalez said when asked if his spring went perfectly according to blueprint. ‘Coming here, I knew that if everything came out as planned I would be ready for Opening Day. Then I came here and I was ready earlier than I’d hoped, I got more at-bats than I thought I was going to get, and I feel really good going into the season.’
Gonzalez appeared to build progressively into comfort at the plate. He got enough at-bats that he was able build strength to the point where he could resue using his normal bat, and he also saw enough pitches that he feels that, in leaving Fort Myers, his timing is where it needs to be for the regular season.
‘[Timing] feels good. I think after that minor league game, things started to click and I started to feel more comfortable at the plate,’ he added, referring to a game against Sox minor leaguers last week in which Gonzalez got six at-bats against Sox pitchers.
Now, after an offseason of anticipation following his trade to the Red Sox in December, Gonzalez said he is eager for the start of the regular season schedule.
‘Definitely, it’s been on my mind for a couple of days. It’s getting closer every day, which is awesome,’ Gonzalez said. ‘Being able to get out of here is one of those final steps for knowing that you’re real close.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Trade Analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Tyler Thornburg
- Trade Analysis: Scouting the pitching prospects dealt for Chris Sale
- Trade Analysis: Scouting the hitting prospects dealt for Chris Sale
- Podcast Ep. #110: Dealin' Dave's Winter Sale
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo to play in Puerto Rican League
- November Notes: Prospect rankings and new CBA
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez belts walk-off home run
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Devers, Hernandez stand out in Dominican winter league
- Podcast Ep. #109: Alex Speier on Ranking the System
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez debuts, Tavarez, Mars stay hot