|Opening Day Lineup: J.D. Drew sits||03.31.11 at 9:40 pm ET|
Terry Francona revealed his Opening Day lineup Thursday, slotting in Mike Cameron to play right field in the place of J.D. Drew. The batting order against Texas lefty C.J. Wilson will be as follows: Jacoby Ellsbury CF, Dustin Pedroia 2B, Carl Crawford LF, Kevin Youkilis 3B, Adrian Gonzalez 1B, David Ortiz DH, Mike Cameron RF, Jarrod Saltalamacchia C, Marco Scutaro SS, Jon Lester P.
Francona cited throughout spring training how he might heavily weight the importance of putting additional right-handed bats in the lineup against Wilson. Cameron has only faced the Texas lefty three times, striking out twice, while Drew is 1-for-6 against Wilson. Last season, Wilson held left-handed batters to a .144 batting average and .400 OPS, allowing just five extra-base hits (all doubles).
Speaking to reporters during the team’s workout in Houston, Francona said, “This won’t be a platoon. J.D. knows that.”
Few Red Sox hitter have had any success against the Rangers Opening Day starter, with Scutaro (2-for-16), Crawford (2-for-12), Ortiz (1-for-10), and Youkilis (2-for-7) having the most experience against Wilson. Ortiz is the only current member of the Red Sox to have claimed a homer against the Texas starter.
- Red Sox sign 1st-round pick Trey Ball (UPDATED)
- Cup of Coffee: Shaw, Haeger help Sea Dogs earn split
- Players of the Week, June 10-16: Keury De La Cruz and Anthony Ranaudo
- Red Sox reportedly sign 12th-rounder Jake Drehoff
- Wendelken added to South Atlantic League All-Stars
- Red Sox reportedly sign Bryan Hudson, Jantzen Witte
- Cup of Coffee: Spinners open season with 15-strikeout gem
- SoxProspects Video of the Week: A-Ball hitters
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #39.1: Mellen's Excellent Adventure
- 2013 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!