Opening Day Lineup: J.D. Drew sits
|03.31.11 at 9:40 pm ET|
Terry Francona revealed his Opening Day lineup Thursday, slotting in Mike Cameron to play right field in the place of J.D. Drew. The batting order against Texas lefty C.J. Wilson will be as follows: Jacoby Ellsbury CF, Dustin Pedroia 2B, Carl Crawford LF, Kevin Youkilis 3B, Adrian Gonzalez 1B, David Ortiz DH, Mike Cameron RF, Jarrod Saltalamacchia C, Marco Scutaro SS, Jon Lester P.
Francona cited throughout spring training how he might heavily weight the importance of putting additional right-handed bats in the lineup against Wilson. Cameron has only faced the Texas lefty three times, striking out twice, while Drew is 1-for-6 against Wilson. Last season, Wilson held left-handed batters to a .144 batting average and .400 OPS, allowing just five extra-base hits (all doubles).
Speaking to reporters during the team’s workout in Houston, Francona said, “This won’t be a platoon. J.D. knows that.”
Few Red Sox hitter have had any success against the Rangers Opening Day starter, with Scutaro (2-for-16), Crawford (2-for-12), Ortiz (1-for-10), and Youkilis (2-for-7) having the most experience against Wilson. Ortiz is the only current member of the Red Sox to have claimed a homer against the Texas starter.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Garin Cecchini and Yoan Aybar
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Kevin McAvoy and Bryce Brentz
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Travis leads way as Scottsdale wins AFL title
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Travis Lakins and Jalen Beeks
- Light, Jerez, and Hernandez added to 40-man roster
- Light, Hernandez top list of potential Friday roster additions
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Christopher Acosta and Ben Taylor
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Austin Glorius and Jordan Procyshen
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Travis blasts walk-off home run
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Chandler Shepherd and Kyle Martin