Dustin Pedroia on Red Sox fans: ‘You’re either two feet in now or you’re two feet out’
|04.07.11 at 5:42 pm ET|
CLEVELAND — The tone in the Red Sox‘ clubhouse was clearly one of frustration following their 1-0 loss to the Indians Thursday afternoon at Progressive Field. The defeat moved the Sox to 0-6, the franchise’s worst start since 1945, when they began the season at 0-8.
“I’m frustrated. We all went to bed at 3 o’clock. We don’t just put our head on the pillow at 11:30 and go to sleep and say everything’s great. We’ve got 15 All-Stars or whatever the hell we’ve got on this team. That’s not how it is, man,” said Red Sox second baseman Dustin Pedroia. “This is our lives. We’re going to get home right now and my wife’s going to look at me and say ‘Expletive], you’re 0-6. You guys stink. We all bring this [expletive] home with us, man. We care. We’ll figure it out. We have to. We don’t want to let anyone down. That’s it.”
“We’ll figure it out,” he explained. “We’re going to win a lot more games than we’re going to lose, I’ll tell you that. We’re not going to be 0-162.”
Regarding how the fans might react upon the Red Sox’ return home, both Pedroia and David Ortiz remained optimistic the hometown support would do their team good.
“We need ’em,” the second baseman said. “We need someone on our side. Carl [Crawford] and [Kevin Youkilis] Youk and J.D. [Drew], they were getting yelled at the whole time. It’ll be good to have someone cheering for us for a change. You’re either two feet in now or you’re two feet out. Let us know now, because we’re coming.”
“They’re going to be fine,” said Ortiz of the Fenway fans. “There’s not two Red Sox teams, there’s only one. You have to cheer for this one if you’re a Red Sox fan, right?”
For more Red Sox news, go to the team page at weei.com/redsox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies