Dustin Pedroia on Red Sox fans: ‘You’re either two feet in now or you’re two feet out’
|04.07.11 at 5:42 pm ET|
CLEVELAND — The tone in the Red Sox‘ clubhouse was clearly one of frustration following their 1-0 loss to the Indians Thursday afternoon at Progressive Field. The defeat moved the Sox to 0-6, the franchise’s worst start since 1945, when they began the season at 0-8.
“I’m frustrated. We all went to bed at 3 o’clock. We don’t just put our head on the pillow at 11:30 and go to sleep and say everything’s great. We’ve got 15 All-Stars or whatever the hell we’ve got on this team. That’s not how it is, man,” said Red Sox second baseman Dustin Pedroia. “This is our lives. We’re going to get home right now and my wife’s going to look at me and say ‘Expletive], you’re 0-6. You guys stink. We all bring this [expletive] home with us, man. We care. We’ll figure it out. We have to. We don’t want to let anyone down. That’s it.”
“We’ll figure it out,” he explained. “We’re going to win a lot more games than we’re going to lose, I’ll tell you that. We’re not going to be 0-162.”
Regarding how the fans might react upon the Red Sox’ return home, both Pedroia and David Ortiz remained optimistic the hometown support would do their team good.
“We need ’em,” the second baseman said. “We need someone on our side. Carl [Crawford] and [Kevin Youkilis] Youk and J.D. [Drew], they were getting yelled at the whole time. It’ll be good to have someone cheering for us for a change. You’re either two feet in now or you’re two feet out. Let us know now, because we’re coming.”
“They’re going to be fine,” said Ortiz of the Fenway fans. “There’s not two Red Sox teams, there’s only one. You have to cheer for this one if you’re a Red Sox fan, right?”
For more Red Sox news, go to the team page at weei.com/redsox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs