Breaking down the Buchholz contract terms
|04.10.11 at 6:04 pm ET|
Signing bonus: $1 million
2012: $3.5 million
2013: $5.5 million
2014: $7.7 million
2015: $12 million
The 2016 club option is for $13 million (with a buyout of $245,000), while the team option for the 2017 season is for $13.5 million (with a $500,000 buyout). The 2017 option increased to $14 million if Buchholz finishes either first or second in Cy Young voting during the contract.
The signing bonus and buyout of the 2016 option bring the value of the first four years of the deal to a guaranteed $29.945 million.Coupled with the $550,000 that Buchholz is making this season, Buchholz would be guaranteed $30.495 million from 2011 through 2015.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Weekly Notes: Greenville makes playoff push, GCL Sox reach finals
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza, De Jesus pitch Sox into GCL finals
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi powers Greenville to victory
- Cup of Coffee: Callahan helps move Greenville into wild card lead
- Podcast Ep. 84: Mailbag extravaganza!
- Cup of Coffee: Longhi, Watkins power Greenville playoff push
- Cup of Coffee: Drive step closer to playoffs behind Drehoff, Moncada
- Cup of Coffee: Season comes to an end for DSL Red Sox
- Cup of Coffee: DSL Sox drop playoff opener; Espinoza dominates
- Weekly Notes: Greenville lineup turning heads