|Breaking down the Buchholz contract terms||04.10.11 at 6:04 pm ET|
Here is the breakdown of the four-year, $29.945 million extension that the Red Sox signed with Clay Buchholz:
Signing bonus: $1 million
2012: $3.5 million
2013: $5.5 million
2014: $7.7 million
2015: $12 million
The 2016 club option is for $13 million (with a buyout of $245,000), while the team option for the 2017 season is for $13.5 million (with a $500,000 buyout). The 2017 option increased to $14 million if Buchholz finishes either first or second in Cy Young voting during the contract.
The signing bonus and buyout of the 2016 option bring the value of the first four years of the deal to a guaranteed $29.945 million.Coupled with the $550,000 that Buchholz is making this season, Buchholz would be guaranteed $30.495 million from 2011 through 2015.
- Red Sox sign 1st-round pick Trey Ball (UPDATED)
- Cup of Coffee: Shaw, Haeger help Sea Dogs earn split
- Players of the Week, June 10-16: Keury De La Cruz and Anthony Ranaudo
- Red Sox reportedly sign 12th-rounder Jake Drehoff
- Wendelken added to South Atlantic League All-Stars
- Red Sox reportedly sign Bryan Hudson, Jantzen Witte
- Cup of Coffee: Spinners open season with 15-strikeout gem
- SoxProspects Video of the Week: A-Ball hitters
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #39.1: Mellen's Excellent Adventure
- 2013 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!