Red Sox, Buchholz agree on four-year, $29.945 million extension
|04.10.11 at 4:36 pm ET|
According to multiple Major League Baseball sources, the Red Sox have agreed to a four-year, $29.945 million extension with pitcher Clay Buchholz that will take effect in 2012. The extension includes two club options. (For year-by-year contract details, click here.) The 26-year-old wouldn’t have been eligible for free agency until after the 2014 season; with the deal, he will remain with the Sox through at least 2015, with the options covering the 2016 and 2017 campaigns.
Last season Buchholz went 17-7 with a 2.33 ERA. The Sox starter has made two starts this season, the latest one coming Saturday afternoon with Buchholz surrendering five runs on eight hits in 3 2/3 innings.
‘I think that would definitely be a base model for it ‘ numbers-wise, security reasons, I think every player with less than three years of service time, that’s what they strive for,’ said Buchholz. ‘I’m not saying I’m as good as Lester or I deserve what he got, but just from the other guys who signed their deal in the past year or so with the same service, I think that’s definitely a good starting point if there ever was one.’
By waiting until the start of the season to sign a four-year, $30.5 million deal (on top of the pitchers $550,000 salary for 2011), the Sox will save in the vicinity of $1.6 million over what they would have had to pay in luxury taxes had they agreed to a five-year deal in the $30 million range with Buchholz in spring training.
The agreement was first reported by FoxSports.com’s Jon Paul Morosi.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies